Two awards, one week! Shazam! Yeah! In a span of just seven days Okhlos was shown at two different events in Buenos Aires and returned with an award from each one. SLAM DUNK!
First was the turn of the EVA (short for Exposición de Videojuegos de Argentina) which is like an Argentinean GDC. For more than a decade now the EVA has been a gathering place for developers from all over the country, featuring various workshops and a huge number of talks (this time, for instance, the keynote talk was by Brian Moriarty, of Loom fame). This year they also decided to present a small number of games with an award for Most Promising Game. Okhlos was among them. CHA-CHING!
Receiving the prize at Meet The Games
Next was the turn of Meet the Game, a great event that has been growing exponentially since its debut three years ago. The focus of this event is to bring games closer to the audience, so they had a main hall filled with videogames for anyone to play, as well a floor devoted to party games and arcades and another to boardgames. All of this while a non-stop stream of talks was taking place. But the icing of the cake was the showcase, closing the event, where from all of the games in the show Okhlos was chosen as Game of the Year. SCORE!
But we didn’t rest on our laurels. Not at all. After a night of getting drunk on myrrh we went straight back to work.
And speaking about work, if you are one of the followers of this blog you will know that from time to time we post a list of things we’ve added into the game. This should come as no surprise in a development blog, but what may surprise you is the insane amount of new stuff that we have added since version 0.5.0. Tons of changes! Amazing new stuff! One addition better than other! Totally radical stuff! You’ll see.
(Remember! You can click on all images to enlarge them)
- The unstoppable Minotaur, which is one the brand new sub-bosses, and came along with its labyrinth.
- The Hydra, with its nasty lair and its many, many heads.
- Hades (the god, not the realm).
- The great Athena, who seems nice until she starts plowing through your mob.
- Hephaestus, the god of volcanoes and smithing.
- The Hecatonchires, who is ridiculouly violent.
- Argos Panopte, the one-hundred-eyed giant. Creepy!
NEW TRICKS FOR OLD ENEMIES!
- Apollo’s new healing power. He was the god of healing too, so it kind of makes sense.
- New Posidon’s attacks. Watery stuff galore!
- Enemy spawning portals. More enemies coming from the portal dimension!
NEW WAYS TO SPEND YOUR UNITS
- The Unit’s Market, where you can now trade units of one type in exchange of another type.
- New leader-targeted hazards: the confusing smoke altar, the lavish tree trap, and the slippery tentacle trap.
- Hades (the realm, not the god).
- New special levels, which will some spice to your quest through ancient Greece with things like rains of arrows and
NICER LOOKING THINGS!
- New destroyed fx for props. Breaking stuff has never looked better.
- Units movement interpolation. Unit’s movement is now as smooth as it gets.
NEW GUY IN THE HUD THAT TALKS TO YOU FROM TIME TO TIME!
- That’s right, Homer is here to tell you the story of the ancient Greece’s favorite angry mob
- Along with Homer came the Intro Windows, which are these:
- Hero Intro Window. Everything you ever wanted to know about the ancient world’s greatest heroes.
- Also the Boss Intro Window, because otherwise you might’ve missed the 30-ft tall deity stomping your mob.
- And finally the Unit Intro Window, because even the little guys deserve an intro window (at least the first time you encounter them).
OLD WINDOWS (but with new stuff in them)!
- Market Window revamp. Extra comfort for the smart hero shopper.
- Pause Window revamp. When you need to take a break this ** will be waiting for you.
- We just couldn’t stop Gordon from adding a Main Menu Theme and tons new sfx for the new stuff.
OLD CLASSICS WITH NEW BLING!
- Do you remeber The Agora? Well, it’s back with collectible statues, persistent heroes hub and more!
- After adding so much new stuff we had to update the Tutorial, and so we did.
- The solemn black background that dominated the Main Menu for so long is gone. Now a dynamic 3D background will leave you speechless every time you open the game.