(What’s New?) A list of what has changed this week (tweaked mechanics, added content, etc).
- The entire beat system has been reworked to allow for more customizable beat tracks on music pieces
- New music has been added (Better fits the beats)
- Added a sync option in the menu to allow. (Allows play with bluetooth headphones)
- Holding back on the joystick now turns 180 degrees instead of moving a step backwards
- Beats are removed during cutscenes
- Added “beat score” indicator on the screen
- Added torches in key areas so players don’t get lost as easily
- Moved beat indicators to bottom center of the screen so players can look at where they are going and the indicators at the same time
- Made the main room more inviting to make it seem like a safe zone
- Added a main menu
- Created new player and enemy models for more realism in the visuals.
- Added stereo audio to immerse players and allow them to listen for how close behind the enemy is.
- Added health indicators to show player health on the user interface.
- Added a screen shake effect when the enemy hurts the player.
(What’s the Motivation?) A discussion / summary of why you made these changes. Where is your project headed?
A lot of the updates made this week were either choices to make the game more immersive, small quality of life features, and bug fixes. However, our ultimate goal is to make the game feel more scary. The torches, for example, were added to make it harder to get lost in the hallways by adding landmarks, but they also add to the atmosphere of being in a scary place.
We also finished a lot of the changes for making the game have a first person design. Some of these include fixing up the UI to display all of the required information, such as beat score and health.
Finally, we felt that adding more “juice” to the game would make the game feel generally better to play. Some of this includes adding models/textures to certain areas, changing the music, adding screen shake in certain situations, etc.
(What’s Next?) What changes you plan to make for the next iteration.
In future iterations, we see the game possibly getting different sound tracks that have an easier beat to follow, and scarier sounds during gameplay. We really want to get the player immersed in our game,so we would make our graphics and UI come together smoothly. We would also redesign our levels slightly to make it more intuitive for the players since the players currently can get trapped in a corner by the enemies..