I'm a french player in his thirties.
Hundreds of GoldSrc and Source mod’s have been done, and there is more to come.
Donation is the better way to sustain the modders.
This hasn’t been updated since 2012... now it’s time, 7 years later! It’ll be completed in a few days.
This was a recurrent problem in mods, especially good mods we like, we love... we consider it "Valve-like" qualities, and we would like for them to be considered "canon", even if official add-ons such as Blue Shift and Opposing Force aren't considered really canon by Valve themselves.Through the upcoming parts of this blog, I will try to make explanations on some well-known mods, both HL1 and HL2, on how they fit with the HLverse.
1) THEY HUNGER : We know during the storyline that the zombies where created when Dr. Franklin discovered a strange substance on the waters surrounding the small town.
My guess is that during the Portal Storms following HL1 and a little before the Seven Hour War (admitting that it happens some months/years after the BM incident), some alien organism infected these waters, a specific organism allowing the dead to come back to life. SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF THEY HUNGER : Shortly after HL1 events, on an isolated American town. Maybe a town not touched by the 7 hour war, cut from the rest of the world, in a sense.
2) AFRAID OF MONSTERS : Nothing special. Some addict in a town without nothing specific on the HLverse.SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF AOM : Before the Black Mesa Incident since the world wasn't screwed at this time.
3) USS DARKSTAR : Tough one. We can guess that some sort of human-like "aliens" discovered planets full of Xenian Life and then all hell breaks loose.SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF USS DARKSTAR : "In a galaxy far far away", before or after the Black Mesa event... Not really important for the time.
4) TIMELINE 1, 2, 3 : An interesting one. Gordon is recruited by the Gman to travel in time and save the world from nazis, but at the end Gman betrays him to work with Hitler and as a result Gordon destroys the crystal of time, and every event is erased to go back in time just at the HL1 beginning.SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF TIMELINE : Alternate timelines from HL1 ending to during some years, then everything is erased as nothing happened.
5) ABSOLUTE REDEMPTION : Gordon being reactived between HL1 and HL2 to do some things on Xen and on an Earth not yet "enslaved". No special "temporal paradox".SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF ABSOLUTE REDEMPTION : Gordon out of stasis before the 7 hour war, on Earth and Xen for a short time before being re-put back on stasis by G-Man.
6) BLACK OPS : Nothing special, Declan Walker fits well in the timeline.SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF BLACK OPS : Shortly before HL1, then during HL1 and OpFor, and ending shortly before Black Mesa being nuked.
7) ZOMBIE EDITION : Again, nothing special, just a nameless zombie doing some stuff during the Black Mesa event.SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF ZE : During HL1 events, after Resonance Cascade and ending when the nuke explodes.
8) POINT OF VIEW AND AZURE SHEEP : 2 great mods taking place during HL1 events with no problems with the timeline.SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF POV AND AS : Before Resonance Cascade and ending before the nuke.
9) CLEANERS ADVENTURE : a mod with an HL1 janitor. I can't really understand the ending (since it's russian) but I assume the hero is either dead or taken in Gman's custody.SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF CA : During HL1 events, before Resonance Cascade and ending before the nuke.
10) CASE CLOSED : a mod with a poor lawyer visiting Black Mesa at the wrong time. Again (and again..), some random guy lost in the giant complex and fighting his lot of aliens and grunts. SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF CC : During HL1 events, same as Cleaner's adventure.
11) SWEET HALF-LIFE : Like several other mods, this one deals with random guy, this time the warehouse manager, during the BM incident fighting his way through every threat sent on this place and even more, finishing the game, with no paradoxes, on top of the "time to choose" to tram and even crossing path with a Shepard after his stasis...SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF SHL : from HL1 beginning (we are the guy bringing the Crystal to the lab's) to HL1 ending.
Addendum : My guess is that our poor hero didn't manage to catch Gman and Gordon and as a result disappeared in the "space between spaces".
12) LIFE'S END : Random guy during BM blablabla... even with the spacetime travelling, nothing paradoxical occurs, and in the end our poor Luther gets put outside of space and time itself, with some other people.SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF L'SE : HL1 timeline, starting shortly before the reson finishing before the nuke of BM, and ending in some whatever the place is (a prison acting as an afterlife?).
13) OPERATION NOVA : Like Cleaner's Adventure (and until the release of Yellow Shift), another janitor during Black Mesa.SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF NOVA : From the HECU arrival on HL1 to shortly after the rocket launch by Freeman.
14) POKE646 + POKE646 VENDETTA : set 13 months after Black Mesa being "shut down" , in a world free of aliens, knowing nothing about the BM incident, a complex story with a secret anti-alien service, with twists and betrayal along the way... SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF POKE646 : After BM incident, in another city, and before the 7 Hour War.
15) PRECURSOR : Playing a rebel going from City 17 to White Forest.SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF PRECURSOR : Canon. Like said in the game, "303 days before the wake of Gordon Freeman".
16) MINERVA METASTASIS : Set on an isolated island run over by Combine, it's hard to tell, besides being after the Resonance Cascade. Assuming that the Overwatch are made of humans, here is a supposition : SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF MINERVA : In-between the loss of the 7 hour war and the beginning of HL2.
17) 1187 : A human during the 7 hour war...SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF 1187 : Sometimes before and then during the 7 hour war.
18) RIOT ACT : During Freeman storming Nova Prospekt, ending before the destruction of Nova Prospekt.19) RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT : The "best HL2 mod of all time" telling us the story of some guy with no weapons in a combine and zombie infested experimental base called "NERDZ" can fit in the timeline with some explanations. SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF R AND D : Sometimes during the gap between HL1 and HL2. I guess some weird looneys (the so called "nerdz") created a base to make strange games for their own personal amusements, capturing Combine so they can fight some poor "players".
20) DANGEROUS WORLD : The infamous mod about a rebel starting just after the Dark reactor's destruction to the Citadel fits well in the official timeline, going so far as being paralleled with moments of Episode 1.SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF DW : Can be considered canon and in the same time as Episode 1.
21) EYE OF THE STORM : The sadly unfinished mod of Lord, in the City 14 with its own administrator, and some Ravenholm at the moment of its fall.SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF EOTS : Before HL2 because started with the "Ravenholm" mod not yet Zombified then going into another City ruled by Combine. Sadly, it ended in part 2 in an unfinished note.
22) HUMAN ERROR : A "play as combine" mod where you start with an intro during the Portal Storm then you're put as a Metrocop exploding Vorts and Rebels.SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF HE : As some Xenians are still presents on Earth and the Rebels are crushed, surely before HL2. So : Intro just before the 7 hour war and then before HL2.
23) COMBINE DESTINY : Another "play as combine" mod where you blow the hell out of Rebels and zombies.SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF CD : After the 7 hour war and before HL2.
24) COMBINE COMBAT : Another "play as combine" mod, sadly unfinished, where you play a Metrocop tasked to kill Gordon Freeman. Cool mod, besides.SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF CC : During HL2 and after "A red letter gone wrong".
25) FORWARD MOTION : A strange mod/mappack starting with some Combine to blow up in City 17 then switching to a mystical land where you have to activate some ancient artifacts, and with that, you have to flee a floating corpse pursuing you with a wall of death...SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF FM : Dunno. Looks like a rebel during HL2 getting teleported on an alternate dimension.
26) RANDOM QUEST : A strange and interesting mod where a man walking on the streets is teleported to a medieval castle ruled by a Vortigaunt and some humans, then an arena with Antlions Guards, some looneys on a lost land, and ending with a cliffhanger after blowing some other crazy humans.SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF RQ : It can fit!!! After the Portal Storms, some guys is caught in a dimensional vortex and ends in a world where some "renegade" Vortigaunts, freed from the Nihilanth, rule this world and some exiled humans either serving the Vort's, or having become crazy.
27) THE CITIZEN TRILOGY : The fantastic mod about a rebel who has enough of the Combine and decide to join the Resistance. After a first part climaxing when Breen is nearly killed during his recording of Breencast, the second part takes us in rescuing a Rebel leader. Part 3 ends with destroying Breen drinks factory SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF THE CITIZEN : Before HL2 and after 7hourwar and the birth of the Resistance. Show us also how Breen move from "public" appearances to barricading himself in the Citadel. Cherry on the cake, the ending tells us EXACTLY where the story ends : after Nova Prospekt's destruction, the beginning of the Uprising, in the end I think the WHOLE mod plays during the 1 week disappearance of Gordon and Alyx after the Prospekt's teleporter's malfunction.
28) DAS ROBOSS : the mod where you play someone (we'll assume : a Rebel) trying to stop a project of a big Combine robot, 10 times the size of a Strider, to be activated. Ends in a giant mechwarrior battle between 2 roboss. Epic.SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF DAS ROBOSS : Sometimes during the Combine rule. Maybe during HL2 events, during the Uprising.
29) UNEXPECTED CONCLUSION : A long mod about a man searching for his brother captured by the Combine. In the "conclusion", it is rather unexpected yes, because... the story has disappeared, the brother is nowhere, and we leave on a train. What.SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF UC : Before HL2 and during the Combine rule. Ending in a "meh?" note
30) UNION : A rebel working with a Vort to escape Nova Prospekt. End with a great climax against a sniper, and a tragic ending. SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF UNION : During the riot of Nova Prospekt in HL2
31) ECHOES : the greatest GoldSrc mod fits well... it occurs during HL1 storyline from before Resonance Cascade, to the nuke... it is also linked to the overall storyline from hints to OpFor, BS... to HL2... even Episode/Epistle3... it resolves some loose ends... SPACETIME CONTINUUUM OF ECHOES : main timeline from HL1 and OpFor, in other places of Black Mesa, be it inside or outside. The « missing link » of the franchise.
32) HUNT DOWN THE FREEMAN : the worst of all but it doesn’t break up the lore... that much... SPACETIME CONTINUUM Of HDTF : one of the most versatile. It starts during Black Mesa incidents, has some parts (even if it’s bad as hell) during 7 Hour War and then during HL2... oh, and the hero is for some reason Shephard’ bro... and due to the « twist », you never fight or encounter Freeman at all.
33) ENTROPY ZERO : an especially good « play as Combine » mod set in another City than City 17. SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF EZ : probably before HL2 events. Combine are established, Resistance too, but not mention is made of Freeman
They are "remake"/"interquel" about the same time as HL1, both are in fact, maybe same "iterations" of the same story/HL events, but re-told with another character each time. SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF RP AND RL : Same time as HL1 but "in a different place" as told by the dev, but the "time" seems to be a "loop" where you ends one story and gets back to the next one, because of the Gman.
35) PROSPEKT : The other (but better) mod gone retail, with HDTF, and sold on Steam, PROSPEKT is an interquel with Shephard back on Earth, freed by Vorts from Gman, to wreck havoc on Nova Prospekt and destroy some giant Combine satellite on space, probably to help Freeman or the Resistance... Anyways, Poor Adrian gets back on statis in the end SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF PROSPEKT : set after HL1 and OpFor but before HL2, here it's sorta "Opposing Force 2...
36) TRANSMISSIONS ELEMENT 120 : A short but well-done mod where you travel in some City (17?) with a G-Gun now more a "jumper" . SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF TE120 : It doesn't really mess anything in the storyline, it seems to be set during HL2, or maybe a little before.
37) THE SPRUCECAPE MOD : a side story of some alcoholic mod chasing his wife and son throughout his house, some roads, and moutains. SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF SPRUCECAPE : acknowledged by the dev as being set during HL2 but in another place in the world. Headcrabs and zombies are everywhere, indeed.
38) UNDER THE BLACK MOON : another take on Black Mesa but this time with corporal Daniel Shephard, Adrian's brother.... SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF UTBM : seems to be in Black Mesa around the same time as OpFor but in another place, it doesn't really fucks up the lore, in the end Daniel is recruited by Gman after blowing up some Black Ops copters, and he goes back to country.
39) MILITARY DUTY : Yet another OpFor mod where you play ALEXANDER Shephard :D As with UTBM, SPACETIMECONTINUUM OF MD : the same as UTBM, you fights Xenians, Race X, Black Ops, etc... and you successfully escape Black Mesa and his Lol Nuke after a final battle.
40) FOCALPOINT : This one, is very interesting. You're a HECU sent to Black Mesa to rescue Shephard and others. In the end, you face some giant aliens ships never seen before and go back to the test chambeeer to stop some teleport or resonance cascade parallel to the first one... etc... SPACETIMECONTINUUM OF FOCALPOINT : after Opposing Force, but before the nuke as you're rescued outside Black Mesa by an HECU team.
Despite the best efforts, some very good mods with strong story simply can't fit with the HLverse...
TODESANGST : Completly awkward. Takes places "after" HL1 with Gordon chasing an evil doctor in a still-here Black Mesa (!!!) allied with Gman who now has a name, Mr. Blackstone (!!!). Despite being good, it simply doesn't fit.SPACETIME CONTINNUM OF TODESANGST (1 and 2) : A "what if..?" universe where Gordon chooses "f*ck you" to the Gman's choice in HL ending and then blows the hell out of him when he duplicates and transforms himself in 4 half-Gman half-Xenian monsters... No Shepard, No nukes, no HL2 in this world.
GUNMAN CHRONICLES : The mod that being so good became a retail game and seen as a "spiritual successor of Half Life" with his story of interstellar human soldiers going on many planets fighting XEN-omorphs with a recurring bad guy, former friend gone wrong... Strangely, it can be seen as a "what if?" story.SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF GUNMAN : Several years in the future after the Combine war, Gordon Freeman shaved his beard and his head and became part of the Gunman Corps.
THE EVASION : A "what if" story where Shephard is seen trapped on a Xen Island (his envisioned fate after OpFor's ending) but manages to escape Gman's crasp with a lucky teleport and then gets back on an un-nuked Black Mesa, then escapes. But not true!
XENO PROJECT I AND II : Interesting projects where it's a continuation of HL1 story : on a slowly terraformed Xen, Freeman uncovers the truth about Xenians and manages to destroy evil Gman and his HECU forces.
NUCLEAR WINTER : set after HL1 but completly unrelated, "Tom Clancy"-like story where you battle for North America and must face China and Russia where Gman is now an evil Russian C.E.O. who is killed (not nuked, crushed) by a thermonuclear bomb in the last battle.
THE GATE AND THE GATE 2 : This is the Armageddon of FUBAR story... Even Leon's mod can't stand against the epicness of bullshit those mod's contains, especially the second one. In fact, both are TC mod's completly unrelated to HL Lore but the first one is some Indiana Jones story against time traveling nazis, the second one goes nuts with Illuminati, nazis, Aliens/Grey forces, boobs, dicks, turds, etc... It's pretty messed up but with some alcohol and drugs, it should go pretty well.
COASTLINE TO ATMOSPHERE : Here we a mod starting just after HL2 not counting the episodes where you pursue Breen who has gone into a space station and where the Gman switch sides with him. After nearly 6 hour of game, everything blows up and you blows the hell out of both Breen and Gman.SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF CTA : "what if?" story where we can imagine that Gman stopping time at the end of HL2 causes a temporal paradox where two timelines emerged : the official one with the Episodes, and this one with CTA. True considering that Alyx does not appear in CTA. Barney also dies in CTA. And you don't get to see other characters either.
STRIDER MOUNTAIN : The longest HL2 mod where you have to work with the Resistance trying to destroy the "source" of the Striders. SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF SM : "what if?" story by the same dev' of CTA, interestingly we can imagine it's really a sequel to CTA, with Gordon having destroyed Breen and Gman, is now continuing his mission to destroy the Combine. True considering nobody really important besides some rebels appear into SM.
THE CLOSURE : « final part » of Leon’s mods, again it’s a what if story after Ep2’s ending, here you have to find Borealis, Kleiner is a zombie, Breen’s Still alive (and dies again), there are numerous zombies and even real zombies, for some reason Human planes still fly in the air, and the cities are not so fucked... In the end, Borealis is destroyed and so are Combine. Resistance wins, Kleiner and Breen die, and Barney or Alyx either die. It fucks up the lore so much beyond repair, but it’s funny to play anyways.
DEEP DOWN : This one is also a "what if" Episode 3 but especially good... in fact, it's a compilation of HL best gameplay moments but mixed and shaked to the dev's style, the story is simple : kill an Advisor, find Alyx.
MISSION IMPROBABLE : The wonderful mod made by Magnar Janssen telling the story of Gordon investigating a Combine lighthouse and then helping rebels has unfortunately no place in the official timeline... However...SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF MI : If we consider the alternate timeline of Coastline to Atmosphere and Strider Mountain, it can fit well after both of them. It can be trusted since no major characters appear in MI.
CALAMITY : A mod where you are ordered to guide a Rebel train to a Combine structure to blow it up. Good mod ending with a TWIST ----> SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF CALAMITY : As revealed in the climax, an "alternate timeline" set in HL1 when the Spectrometer exploded triggering the resonance cascade and sending temporary Gordon in the future to blow up a not-yet constructed Citadel, before returning back in time in HL1 in "unforeseen consequences".
GET A LIFE : A french and ambitious mod mixing FPS and RPG elements, telling us the story of a young boy suffering leukemia and ending in a 7 hour story of zombies and strange experiments. SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF GET A LIFE : Sadly, totally non-canon. The ending show us a zombie-infested world. Not headcrab zombies, but "regular" zombies. Undead. and no Combine at all.
MISTAKE OF PYTAGHORAS : Strange and well-known mod all about fighting numbers and geometric-shaped aliens with an epic climax with psychokinetic powers. SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF MOP : Non-canon. Rebels and Combine are allies and Breen is still ruler of Earth but is a good guy working with Kleiner!
REBELLION : Space Opera mod.SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF REBELLION : Non-canon. Alyx and Breen and Barney and Combine are the "good guys" and are not even called Combine in this universe.
OFFSHORE : a 5 hour "what if?" story, "what if" Gordon decided to catch his captured Buggy instead of heading for City 17. In the end the buggy is lost anyways... The story is also lost anyways... LOL.SPACETIME CONTINUUM OF OFFSHORE : Alternate timeline "bonus" where the HL2 story gets significantly longer... For nothing ^^
No blogs were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the blog list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.