• Register

Welcome to the "CryENGINE 3 Developers" group . The CryENGINE 3 Developers group is all about creating levels, mod, Total modifications, addon's, machinima videos, Indie games, using Sandbox3 for Crysis or using the free standalone CryENGINE 3 SDK tools.

Forum Thread
Cryengine 3 Cookbook - can be pre-ordered (Groups : CryENGINE Developers : Forum : Tutorials and help section : Cryengine 3 Cookbook - can be pre-ordered) Post Reply
Thread Options
Apr 26 2011 Anchor

Quote: Over 100 recipes written by Crytek developers for creating AAA games using the technology that created Crysis 2
Packtpub.com

Release day May...... mmmhhhh does that mean SB3 will come out in May.... makes me wonder.

Apr 26 2011 Anchor

mmm thats awesome

s87
s87
Apr 26 2011 Anchor

nice find!

Apr 27 2011 Anchor

The question is: will you preorder it? Or do you expect the documentation to be of such a high quality you won't need it?

Apr 27 2011 Anchor

Im still thinking about it.
On the one hand I did print out the CE2 manual when I started using it. It was some inspirational toilet lecture 8)
On the other hand most of the features I learned from trying stuff out myself and there was always help around at the forums of Crymod.com when I encountered some problems.
For example there was extremely little known about the solids editor I did find out stuff myself and wrote a tutorial to help others:
Moddb.com

€ 43 is still alot for "toilet lecture"

Apr 29 2011 Anchor

I'll be getting it in May and reading over it constantly until August when I can start developing on the SDK.

Edited by: Tetsuo3

Apr 30 2011 Anchor

Official news on Documentation:
Moddb.com

You can be sure that we're not going to release all new tools without any help :) I can't confirm 100% at the moment but i'm almost certain that there will at least be example files included, possibly a SP and MP level from Crysis 2. We've also got a huge amount of documentation being prepared that will make the Sandbox2 documentation look like a quick-install guide :D

In other words I think I will save the € 43

Edited by: Duruk

May 4 2011 Anchor

You have to think though that there will be things in the book that won't be in the free documentation

May 8 2011 Anchor

i think acctualy i am going to buy that book seems like a good read :)

May 21 2011 Anchor

Use this coupon code and get 40% off the ebook.

aebkp40

May 22 2011 Anchor

Nice thnx for the tip Osok

May 22 2011 Anchor

No problem. I purchased. it was like $29 bucks. That made it much more reasonable.

Edited by: l-ls.Osok

s87
s87
May 23 2011 Anchor

I also ordered it - while I don't expect miracles it would be a shame to miss some official documentation that was released even before the CE3 SDK got out :)

May 24 2011 Anchor

Could someone who brought it let us (or me) know what kind of things its got in it?
Would not mind buying it if its got lots of tidbits of information. The documentation may have a lot, but just might be those sort of those little extras that tell you do more specific things, documentation would not really need to cover. :)

May 26 2011 Anchor

It's not out yet, you can pre-order it if you want, we all know only the info that is in its description in the store. They say it's comming in May '11 so it should be out pretty soon.

Btw thanks Osok, I used that code too and got the sale on e-book. With it applied it was pretty reasonable already ;)

Jun 16 2011 Anchor

Looks like there's nothing in it for coders :C. Ahh well, probably would still be useful.

Jun 17 2011 Anchor

Has it been pushed back by two months? First May, then I thought it said June (may have been July as it is now).

Seems some UK retailers are selling the book, not sure if it'll be online only order, but may be able to pick it up in shops too if anyone is interested, just check google books. :)

Jun 20 2011 Anchor

The publisher's website used to say May, now it says July: Packtpub.com
I think the release is timed to be when the SDK is released.

Jun 27 2011 Anchor

It released this morning. Sadly I have to work so I can't take a look at it until later.

Jun 27 2011 Anchor

Ooh nice. Could you make a photo of the cover please ?

Chapter 8 Creating vehicles was added as free sample:
Packtpub.com

Cry-Adam wrote: We have our official documentation which will be available online tomorrow. It's much larger than the original documentation released with the Crysis SDK. There's lots of info but we'll be counting on you guys to let us know if/what information you need so that we can get it to you ASAP.

Cry-Adam wrote: Everyone is at different skill levels. Besides, you don't know what content is in the book apart from one sample document ;) The book covers a variety of topics and tricks but we'll have more information on the book soon.

source: Crymod.com

Edited by: Duruk

Jul 1 2011 Anchor

Well I got the ebook and am a bit disappointed :| It's basically very basic quick start guide. It contains some useful informations that may not be covered in the official docs, but for the most part it's all about how to do very basic things like creating new map, placing objects and such...

s87
s87
Jul 5 2011 Anchor

What is pretty much lacking is HUD creation, some proper AI scripting (behaviours/characters) and C++ altogether :D xD

It's mostly an introduction to level design and some asset importing, suitable if you want to start off with Crysis 2 modding.
The CryEngine 3 SDK however will come with more options (hopefully) which weren't touched by this book at all.

Anyway I don't regret buying it (with pre-order discount however, the regular price is a little too much imo).

Edited by: s87

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.