• Register

Wartek is an Indie multiplayer mech fighting game being developed entirely by me, I left my job for the year to work on this game full time. I plan on having a playable version of the game ready by the end of the year. What I aim to do is to bring the mil-sim type of feel to the world of mech games, think huge maps with gigantic view distances, simulated projectile physics (including drop, drag, wind), a unique take on how fusion powered mechs would work (you must use excess power to cool your core down), and much more. The graphics will be low-poly retro style. Most of the work right now is designing and writing code for the game, so there is often not much to show off, but stay tuned as I do post pictures and videos of things I've accomplished every now and then.

Forum Thread
Update 08/02/16, 24km x 24km Temperate map and Projectile Physics (Games : Wartek: Mech Combat : Forum : Development News : Update 08/02/16, 24km x 24km Temperate map and Projectile Physics) Locked
Thread Options
Aug 2 2016 Anchor

Yesterday I added a couple pictures to the moddb page of my new 24km x 24km temperate map that's been optimized and freshly outfitted with about 600,000 trees. I have a GTX 970 and it runs between 100 - 200 fps on my system, and my laptop runs it at a playable 30fps with a Nvidia 940M. I'm pretty exited with how it's turning out.

On another note I have been working on the projectile physics, I have pretty much completed the bullet flight path simulation, I just give the system the 2d cross-sectional area of the bullet, it's mass, it's muzzle velocity, and a simple drag efficiency modifier and it gives me a simulation of it's flight path with air resistance, gravity, and wind effects. It performs very well too, I have about 5 keys set up to fire different projectiles and 'H' is my 30mm gatling cannon which fires a round every frame, I can hold that button down all day long and it won't slow anything down by much at all (I go from like 250 fps down to 235 fps) even with 1,000s and 1,000s of bullets being simulated every frame. My next step is to work on hit detection and creating a damage model for the mechs.

I just nearly doubled the FPS on the temperate map, now running above 200 fps on my rig and about 45 - 60 on my laptop.

Edited by: King_Hayve

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.