For the past few weeks our team has concentrated on both new functionality and bug hunting with the sole focus on stability to get us to our closed alpha testing. We are getting closer now and would like to invite you to come signup for the closed alpha. We will need your help to find bugs, give suggestions on content, and give your input as we move forward. Head over to the signup page now.
- Made first attempt at better error handling
- Continued to practice our build process
- successfully crafted a pistol in game
- Crafted a laser shotgun in game
- Stubbed in steam integrations
- Created a Recipe system that was moddable
- Continued to write on the world of Violent Sol
- We better fleshed out how crafting will fit into the universe of Violent Sol
- Fixed up our alpha signup webpage
- Fixed up the shooting animation
- Gave all animals idle animations
- Fixed up the physics of the crate walls
- Made large jumps forward on sound systems, they are 3D now to the character in the game
- Got us able to get back in the vehicle
- Some code cleanup in general
- When driving the world now updates properly
- updated the path finding to not get stuck as easily
- Developed a new way of getting physics bodies from images
- Fixed the guts and particle system to work again
- Made sure when driving the wheels stay ON
- Minor render issue fixes
- Started ripping out our 3rd party physics engine to prepare for our own
- Created the foundation for our physics engine
Let's take a deeper dive into crafting, starting with how are first iteration of the screens and what they look like. To start we have two options for crafting, we will soon have a lot more. They are Laser Pistol and Laser Shotgun. You simply select one of them to continue.
Once you select an option like Laser Pistol you see the base pistol for you to start customizing.
You have options on the left side of the screen to select each part of the pistol. One the part is selected then you can determine what from your inventory can upgrade that part. Each part has a number of slots so you can attach different things to the gun to change its stats.
We also have similar screens for the shotgun. You can select each part and customize them in the same way.
How will this all work in the world? We love what we have come up with here. You are a settler on a new planet, dropped by a corporation. So that corporation got your there and there is a space station above the planet supporting the colonization. It is an automated manufacturing hub. All it needs is supplies. That is where you come in.
You explore the planet below and gather parts and resources for the station. This allows for options on guns, cars, and other awesome things that are crafted in that station. So when you find cool drops and resources you send them to the station and order your customized equipment using those resources. They are then delivered to you when they have completed building.
I hope you enjoyed the update this time around and we are glad you are showing an interest in Violent Sol Worlds. Thank you!
hint of what is to come -