On major update is the addition of a minimap. The minimap helps a bunch with gameplay navigation, for it gives the player a bit more to view of the level area. At the moment it's just a map, and lets you know your placement. It can be turned on and off during gameplay by pressing “M” on the keyboard.
The minimap is pretty simple in terms of usage and execution. I exported my level tilemaps via Tiled as images. I then recolored and scaled them onto a sprite strip in Photoshop. Level tilemaps are 6016 x 6016 and the scaling of the minimap is 16X smaller. (376x376) Each level of the game corresponds to a specific frame of the minimap sprite animation. I'm pleased with the results.. It's pretty lightweight and efficient for it's purpose. :)
Story Art & Functions:
I put off the story and story art due to changes in direction of the game since day one. I didn't want to have to re-create story elements as the game evolved. With that said the game is at the point where the story and gameplay are pretty well set. I had been mulling over ideas for the story all along, and recently created the story board to help aid with the layout and structure of the story.
I haven't put the actual story text into the demo as of yet. I'm holding off for the “Official Demo Release” which I plan to have done within the next 20-30 days. Though, most of the artwork and layout of the story is in place. (aside from some fun animations :) )
I'm severely struggling in this department. The biggest gripe from users is controls. I recently updated keyboard controls to WASD and moved the action keys to the opposite side of the keyboard “N,J,K, and L” to help with this... but it seems it's still an issue. I don't play a lot of games with my keyboard, aside from EVE or like first person shooters where WASD and a mouse are key. I developed the game with a controller in mind. It's just way easier considering I wanted the game to feel like an old retro console game.
My only other option is, implementing configurable keyboard controls... Accessible from the start / options screen. I am taking any feedback in this department. If there is a better setup for keyboard controls – I'm all ears.
In other news :
I was recently approached by Mozilla about bringing Robot 505 to their Firefox desktop app marketplace. Seems the people over at Mozilla really dig Robot 505, which is awesome! It's a neat opportunity to see what kind of traction the game will get when placed on a marketplace with 300+ million users. I'm a tad excited and overwhelmed – for it means I actually have to finish the game ;) Considering this is my first real game that people actually play... The pressure is on. Plus it's given me an added boost of motivation, along with helping me decide on the things in game I was unsure about. What stays, what's a good feature, and what could be added to increase gamer experience.
Demo Update : (from v0.1.505a to v0.1.7a)
I forgot to post this before...
Bug Fixes :
- Fixed inverse image effect on start for Quantum CPU
- Fixed 1st Level elevator return – A 3 tier elevator would not return when player was positioned at bottom
- Fixed Jump & Speed boost issue on death. Speed and Jump boosts are now removed on death.
- Fixed Jump Pad - double jump bug. In some cases, on landing after a jump on jump pad, jump increase, some times stayed applied to player.
- Fixed Grenade 0 ammo Bug – When Grenade launcher was collected but out of ammo selecting through weapons would allow for a single grenade shot.
- Fixed Holo-Spawn next level bug – If a Holo-Spawn was dropped and you advanced to next level. Holo-Spawn would show on initial level entry. Also prevented spawn drop.
- Fixed Main Boss Defeated Bug – After beating boss – exit remained closed. Now opens.
- Fixed Boss Defeat score board bug – Score board didn't reflect that round was complete. Stated Level 1 was.
- Fixed “Can't Kill” Quantum CPU bug – Sometimes the QCPU wouldn't die when HP < 0
- Fixed Holo-Spawn if door closed for mini boos and spawn point was out side of that area, player could not re-enter mini boss area
- Fixed “Level Item” HUD image – now shows item collected.
- Fixed Level overlap / Exit Elevator bug – if player was overlapping the level and pressed down on exit elevator – player could get stuck and not exit level.
- Added elevator control. If the player is moving up or down up you can press the opposite direction to change elevator direction instantly. Used to have to wait.
Links to game :
Scirra Arcade (online play with high scoreboard) : Bit.ly
Itch.io (online play & downloadables) : Bit.ly
That's it for now. Stay tuned for their will many updates to follow as I nail down the Official Demo Release.