The new things this iteration includes:
- Added a new badge system which celebrates various achievements not directly related to score. These badges are awarded at the end of the game.
- Improved the main menu with a ready-up and visual effects.
- More polish to the boss mechanics. In general mechanics should be more powerful but less frustrating for the test subjects.
- The boss now receives some points even when the test subjects win to reduce the frustration of surviving a long time and then losing.
- Players can now move on the scoreboard screen so its harder to forget which color you are.
- Gameplay is now a bit faster with rounds being 5 seconds shorter each. The number of batteries required has also been adjusted to keep relative balance the same.
- Fixed a bug that caused a softlock when certain players dashed into the portal.
What's the Motivation
In this iteration we added the badge system which gives more meaning behind the players actions and gives some reward to the players who don't come in first. Besides the badge system, most changes this iteration were minor polishing changes and bugfixes. The boss has had a major balance sweep and has had many of attacks reworked. This should prevent abuses like spawning blocks directly on top of test subjects. The overall strength of the boss has been increased to compensate for these changes. Therefore, the relative balance should be more constant across skill levels and the best strategy for the boss should be more interesting for all players. Gameplay was dragging a bit in the last build, so we have reduced game length by decreasing round time. These changes are mostly minor to prevent the inclusion of bugs on the final build.
This game will be showcased to the general public at the EECS 494 Student Game Showcase April 22 at 6:45pm