About Home By The River
You move to a polluted land by a river to make your clean reactor a reality while hiding from Sigil Corp. Home By The River is a unique 2D side scroller sandbox where you will create your home & lab, farm, cook food, earn money, gain virtue, clean up pollution, and help humanity.
Home By The River will be coming to Steam as early access title and the demos are available here on IndieDB, on Steam, and on Itch. Wishlist the game, play it and give me feedback! I have a growing and friendly community on Discord so please do join and be part of something awesome!
The game is both single player and LAN co-op works as well. Here's some very early multiplayer footage I captured.
There's a lot of content in the game already and I'll be continuing to add more and more over time. My objective is to work on Home By The River for many years and turn it into a truly awesome game.
I've so far released four updates to the game and in Update four I added the following content:
These updates apply to both the demo and full versions of the game:
- I’ve added cute fluffy bunnies that hop around in the game world. You can feed them vegetables to gain virtue! Buy vegetables from the pantry.
- The main menu of the game has been completely overhauled. It looks way better now and you can select your character and kitty colours before starting the game.
- I’ve added a fridge and now you can buy cold ingredients for cooking from the fridge.
- I’ve improved the appearance of the background by adding more animated trees and replacing all of the old static trees. The forest now has a beautiful fountain to make it look better.
- I’ve added cattails to the foreground to give the game scene more depth and further beautify the game.
- Trees can only grow to 5 units in height now instead of 11. This improves the beauty of the game.
- I’ve given the pet cat a hunger bar. Feeding kitty gives you virtue, but if kitty stays hungry then you will lose virtue!
- I’ve added a park bench tile which you can place in the world through the props menu. The player can sit on it and regain energy.
- I’ve given the boat a boat spray animation to just make it look better in the water.
- The sheep farm now also gives you cheese in addition to earning money everyday.
- I’ve improved the appearance of the rainbow. I think it looks better now. Give me feedback if you see it!
This applies to the full version of the game only:
- Higher level characters can place a fountain of hope in the world through their props menu. It recharges spirit.
Here's some of the future content that I aim to develop
- I’ll investigate having a town the player can visit. Perhaps the player can buy more specific items in town, perhaps do some quests, and maybe help some of the locals with their difficulties.
- Over time I aim to keep on adding dishes from all around the world to the game.
- Investigate having a laptop from which you can check the news today. You can also create social media posts that expose the Sigil Corporation, but doing so also costs you some of your hidden stat. Maybe from your computer you can also play a hacking mini game to restore your hidden stat.
- Investigate global commodity pricing. You can see what is in demand from your laptop. Prices at the trading terminal will be affected by global pricing. This will mean that sugar is not always the most valuable commodity and it will keep changing.
- Investigate basic terrain generation and perhaps terraced grass tiles.
- Investigate a mini game for gaining back the Hidden stat.
- Investigate making an opening cut scene for the game.
I do hope you enjoy the game and please do give me feedback. Remember to wishlist the game on Steam.