Hearts of Oak: Conquest of the Seas is a non-commercial PC game being developed by PiratesAhoy!, and is to become the historical seafaring game to end them all! Fun, realistic gameplay on land and at sea, set during the Age of Sail, will provide extensive free play, exciting scripted storylines and intense multiplayer scenarios.
With this release comes a complete rewrite of the ship physics and buoyancy systems, which lets you walk around on deck and improves sailing performance. This is still a work in progress, so expect one or two issues with collisions and the camera. Installation instructions and alternate download link enclosed. >>
--THIS BUILD DOES NOT REPRESENT THE FINAL QUALITY OF HEARTS OF OAK--
Build 1.8.15349.0 - 17th December 2015
Click here to download from an alternate mirror
1. Download HoO_setup.exe above and run the application.
2. Choose the folder you want to install the game to, accept the terms and conditions, and click Install.
3. Wait for the installer to finish, and click Run to start the game.
4. You will be prompted to select your game settings before the game launches.
NOTE: If you see a Windows security warning when running the launcher, click Run Anyway. This only occurs because Windows doesn't recognize the publisher.
In the Assets\Game Settings folder, you'll find shipSettings.txt and targetSettings.txt. Feel free to edit these files to change the number of AI and static targets in the scene respectively. If you're not sure what to edit in these files, we're happy to help.
If you're seeing poor game performance, try lowering the number of ships and targets. Please let us know what configuration works well for you!
HOW TO PLAY
- [OPTIONAL] Select 'Create Character' in the main menu to generate a custom character. Save the character with a name of your choosing.
- Select 'Play Game' in the main menu, choose a character and select 'single-player' as the game mode.
- Move your character in-game with WASD. Approach the nearby ship and click on it to take command. Press tab to begin the tutorial, which will explain the controls for sailing and firing the guns.
- Toggle "Auto Fire" and "Auto Aim" settings on and off with F1 and F2 respectively.
- [NEW!] While on your ship, click anywhere on the hull and choose Leave Command to walk around on deck. Click the ship again to return to the helm.
Please do send us your feedback! Remember, this is an early build and it makes use of placeholders, so the graphics and content will be improved in later builds.