Hearthlands version 0.3.2 has been released and will be available for download either now or very soon.
- Diplomacy and dynamic trade are temporarily disabled in this version, because we're still working on them. I decided to rework trade a bit, in order to make it combine with diplomacy better. You can still trade in this version, but trade routes won't be able to open or close.
- Alchohol industry is finished, you can now brew cider, beer, mead and wine; grow grapes and hops; collect honey from beehives.
- You can now choose the amount of natural resources your starting position will have.
- You can now choose if your starting position will be on the coast or not.
- Skeletons and elementals now despawn after a while, which makes them less devastating.
- You can now choose your appearance and culture. Your chancellor also has randomized appearance now.
- Your culture defines which buildings you can build, which units you can train, special traits of your people, and your unit of choice. Unit of choice has reduced cost, upkeep and requires less XP to level up than a normal unit. Cultures are quite basic at the moment, but I have some ideas how it can be expanded. You can set your culture to "Common" to have access to all of the buildings and units.
- Fixed bug: Houses evolve to level 3 even if there's no alcohol and start complaining about the lack of booze.
- Fixed bug: Big font can be invisible for some users.
- The game now has a log file which can be examined to see what happened if it crashed upon launch.
We've got several reports about the game not launching properly on Windows, which happens mostly either because of graphics drivers being outdated, or graphics card not being able to handle game's assets. This happens mostly/only on laptops. For example the laptop I'm using for development has two graphics cards one of which is integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000. If I disable the other one, forcing the game to run on the integrated graphics card, it won't launch. By default the integrated card is not used, but that is different from laptop to laptop. I thinking what can be done to make this card compatible, but for now the only way to avoid the problem is to make sure the proper graphics card is being used by default instead of integrated card.
As always we would like to get as much feedback as possible, so please comment and send your thoughts to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you become our watcher on Indie DB or Desura, that also helps a lot! Don't forget to subscribe to one of our social network pages or YouTube channel. If you want to support the development — you can just purchase the game.
Sergio and Simon