Based in Seattle, WA
Gravastar is a sci-fi fantasy JRPG (Japanese-style Role Playing Game) for PC and consoles that combines a traditional JRPG aesthetic with a unique and fast-paced, turn-based battle system inspired by 2D arcade fighting games. The battle system in Gravastar is set apart from traditional turn-based JRPGs by its real-time button-combo input system. Alter the flow of battle, master your character's movesets, build enormous combos, and string together chains to dispatch your foes.
Based in Seattle, WA, Studio Atma was founded in 2014 by Creative Director Derek Blair when Gravastar was still only the seed of an idea. With the nostalgia of classic JRPG's such as Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy to draw upon for inspiration, the next year was spent crafting the world of Aethera: a vibrant history of warring factions, characters, and continents, and a story to tie it all together.
A year later, Gravastar's amazing Composer, Chris Hurn, joined the team, quickly followed by Programmer Tony Yang and Sound Designer Zeke Fenelon. As the game slowly began to take shape, the studio gained its final member, Lead Programmer Rob Walker, and we bid a friendly farewell to Tony as life took him across the seas to London. The next two years were spent bringing Gravastar's unique fast-paced, turn-based battle system and hand-crafted 3D overworld to life.
We are eternally grateful to everyone who has supported us through the years as we continue our quest to bring Gravastar to all the JRPG fans out there!
<3, Studio Atma
- Story-driven campaign with 15 hours of classic JRPG gameplay.
- Harness the power of the stars to unleash powerful spells and devastating combos on your enemies in a unique and fast-paced turn-based battle system inspired by 2D arcade fighting games.
- Join Baird and a cast of seven playable companions as they race to save Aethera from darkness.
- Uncover the secrets of Aethera's rich history as you adventure through five sprawling continents.
- Beautiful hand-drawn animations and hand-painted textures combine a traditional JRPG aesthetic with modern HD graphics.
- Developed by grass-fed programmers who write only the most efficient and optimized code. :)
There are currently no trailers available for Gravastar. Check back later for more or contact us for specific requests!
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Official Selection" Seattle Indies Expo 2018
- "Official Selection" MIX Seattle 2018
- "People's Choice Runner-Up" iFest 2018
- "Official Selection" Seattle Indies Expo 2016
- "People's Choice Award" iFest 2016
- "“... the fighting game inspired combat really shines. In the demo I got to wander about, fighting in gloriously illustrated random encounters [...] I am continuously impressed by the artistry of Studio Atma ...”"
- Josh Speer, oprainfall
- "“Genre-breaking never looked so good.”"
- GeekGirlCon, GeekGirlCon
- "“… a modern approach to retro JRPGs with fighting game sensibilities.”"
- Alex Pascual, wicketAP Toys & Collectables
Gravastar Main Theme Teaser
by Chris Hurn soundcloud.com/studio-atma/gravastar-main-theme.
Gravastar Battle Theme Teaser
by Chris Hurn soundcloud.com/studio-atma/gravastar-battle-theme-teaser.
About Studio Atma
Based in Seattle, WA, Studio Atma is an indie game team developing Gravastar, an exciting new Japanese-style RPG.
More information on Studio Atma, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Lead Software Developer
Sound Design & Audio Implementation