• Register

Gentrieve 2 is a "Metroid"-style 3D action game featuring completely random & customizable worlds. The year is 3080. Mass Generators are creating everything, everywhere. However, thieves often steal Mass Generators in hopes of creating robot armies & fortresses. Thieves are terrible programmers, though, and their creations become uncontrollably hostile & fortresses wildly convoluted. It is your job to clear out these fortresses & return the faulty Mass Generators. Be warned, when the Mass Generator is taken offline, the fortress will soon implode!

Forum Thread
Gentrieve 2: Full Review (Games : Gentrieve 2 : Forum : General Discussion : Gentrieve 2: Full Review) Locked
Thread Options
Aug 28 2012 Anchor

Okay, I've played this for a while now, so I think it's worth it to put this out there. I am really susceptible to hype when it comes to these kind of games, so carefulness will be applied.

Gentrieve 2: The Movie: The Game: The Review

Part 1: Graphics

Best to get this out of the way first since for some people it would be a make-it-or-break-it deal. There are upsides and downsides to the current graphics, and I understand they're being worked on (at least texture-wise), so any comments made might become obsolete. But here goes anyway.

The graphics are simple and they work. Enemies, platforms and portals are all immediately recognizable. It's also very fun to see how the colors and texture change from one area to another. I still remember one area full of large, complicated platforming setups and pink/red textures... it was a memorable experience, and I wanted to see the rest of it. The other main good thing is I really like the designs of the bosses. They're much larger than most game bosses, and their arenas really make them feel like a high-stakes duel.

Now for the bad: the texture details, stretching, warping, colors... all make individual areas "blend into" themselves. It takes more work than I like to pick out my path through a room because of this. Another thing is the enemy models themselves are extremely simplistic, and could probably use more detail. And, lastly, I feel that some "graphical indicators" are missing. When I'm hit, I'd like to see where the shot comes from - maybe a little arrow? Similarly, a targeting reticule that lit up when I was aiming toward an enemy would be nice. Not entirely necessary, but combat is quite tricky right now with large areas, a first-person FOV and flying enemy with long-range shots on all sides.

Part 2: The Sounds

I've said it before but I'll say it again: I really, really like the music in this game. I haven't heard a single bad sound. The only thing I can think of sound-wise is increase the number of sound effects - like suggested elsewhere, add a different sound for shooting a wall and shooting an enemy. That's all I can say.

Part 3: The Gameplay

This game has a good feel to it. It might just be my computer, but the player movement is a bit rolly, jumping is a tad slow and very floaty. That's realistic, intentional or not, since you're a ball robot in (I'm guessing lower-gravity) outer space. Might be interesting to have some generators with higher gravity or something :P

I also enjoy the game because, like the rest of Phr00t's games, it has a visible difficulty curve. Later areas really are a large challenge with tougher enemies and such (but especially because of the aiming/finding enemies/being shot at on all sides stuff I noted earlier). The only problem I have, difficulty-wise, is most of the bosses I've had no trouble beating. Just get behind cover, keep your distance and shoot when not being shot. Now, I haven't "beat" a generator, so I don't know if there's much more difficult bosses later on or even a final boss type enemy. Maybe more maneuverability would make them more intimidating.

I love the map system, the weaponry and the platforming. Oh, yeah, platforming I'll cover in the next session.

Part 4: The Level Design

This is something I wouldn't normally cover separately in a review, but it's where the game really shines, intentionally or not. The maps are all very much varied and "natural-looking" like the platforms just grew out of the rooms they were in. Platforming is always doable and you always have multiple options for traversing from one place to another (though some may be more difficult than another). I've had a few hiccups so far, like a pit in a room that couldn't be jumped out of even with double jump (the only upgrade at that point), and a high-up platform that could only be reached by standing on the edge of a pool (difficult, since the edges naturally push you off most of the time for whatever reason). Thankfully, there's a respawn-in-the-same-room button, and mostly I've only seen these in the really large number puzzle rooms.

I guess my main suggestion would be less is more. Having a bunch of flying enemy all around you in a giant room with shots that are quite difficult to dodge isn't fun, it's just annoying. Same thing with the room size - I saw one room that way an elaborate, twisting hallway, and that was much more enjoyable than the vast rooms with too much wide open space that I've seen everywhere in games.

That's my review! I didn't bother covering the story because really, who cares in a game like this? Do you review the story of Golden Axe? No, this is an interesting, fun shoot-em-up that you can jump right into. Even with its hiccups, most of the time it's fun and highly replayable. I would give it an 8/10 now, but I'm sure as the game is improved through alpha that rating will go up :D

Aug 28 2012 Anchor

Thank you for the very thorough review! Remember that you can review through IndieDB's "Community Rating" here: Indiedb.com

The next update, which I hope to have out in the next few days, includes lots of work to texture picking, lighting, color selection and texture stretching. I understand this is the area that needed the most work -- so it got work. ;)

I'm also improving the level design by reducing the "linear" feel of room progression. More to come!

- Phr00t

Aug 28 2012 Anchor

If you're packing the room together more like in your Twitter update, it's probably going to end up a lot more like Castlevania/Metroid rooms, which I suppose is a good thing. I assume by adding more "hubs" you mean having more rooms that are linked to by other rooms?

Aug 28 2012 Anchor

Yes, I am increasing "hubs", since I wanted the generated world to feel more Metroid-like... I also noticed it makes the map look harder to read (with the rooms closer together) -- so I had to make the map more flexible in placing rooms to keep it readable. I'm actually in the process of releasing the update now :)

Aug 28 2012 Anchor

:O

I underestimated you. The graphics are now correct. Light Blue Areas now look like Ice Caves, not Light Blue Areas. Everything is several times more coherent, graphics wise. Thanks, phr00t.

Aug 29 2012 Anchor

Great to hear and I'm glad it is working better! OK, now on to the next update :)

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.