FreedroidRPG is an open source role playing game, telling the story of a world destroyed by a conflict between robots and their human masters. Play as a hero on a quest to save the world from the murderous rebel bots who know no mercy. You get to choose which path you wish to follow, and freedom of choice is everywhere in the game. FreedroidRPG features a real time combat system with melee and ranged weapons, fairly similar to the proprietary game Diablo. There is an innovative system of programs that can be run in order to take control of enemy robots, alter their behavior, or improve one's characteristics. You can use over 50 different kinds of items and fight countless enemies on your way to your destiny. An advanced dialog system provides story background and immersive role playing situations.
The FreedroidRPG team is proud to announce the release of the 0.16 version of this famous open source RPG game !
This version has been in the making for 4 years and contains many changes and improvements, representing the work of many contributors.
Source tarball, Windows and MacOSX installers are available on
Note that our Git repository is now on GitLab
Here is a quick list of some major changes from 0.15.1 you're likely to notice:
- Translations are back! The game can now be read in a selection of languages, and the following languages are bundled with the game by default: Brazilian Portuguese, Czech, German, French, and Swedish. More languages are being worked on by volunteers, and translators (and proofreaders!) are always welcome to join us on Transifex.com
- The various interfaces of the game have been re-factored and are now widget-based, allowing them to be displayed better in larger resolutions.
- Higher-level bots will now see through the Invisibility program.
- The arena in town has been redesigned entirely. Bots are now fought in waves and in several difficulty levels.
- The game ends a little less abruptly, and the player has the opportunity to enjoy compliments (and other words) from several characters.
- Background images have been added and remastered, including widescreen versions.
- A new, rhythmical music track has been added, and can be encountered near the Hell Fortress.
- For the modders among you, the game's dialog engine has been restructured, and now uses pure Lua and employs bindings for NPCs and the player. Many new Lua functions have been added and can be called via dialogs and events. The remainder of the game's data is now also specified in Lua, for many of the same advantages.
- An effect timer can be shown in the Heads-Up Display by enabling it in the game's settings. No more waiting blindly for Emergency Shutdown to wear off!
- A new terminal model has been announced, advertised to be more hardened and robust than the classic model. Many of those with security in mind have already switched to using this new model, and if you have the right clearance, you can already see secure terminals in various sensitive locations, silently guarding their secrets.
- Water runs. From who? To where? Only the water knows.
- Countless annoying bugs were squished and shiny tweaks were squeaked.
Note that this version breaks compatibility with older savegames.
Specifically, new or modified map elements will not be available when playing with savegames from 0.15.1, and this may cause a crash when the game goes looking for them. To make the most of the current state of the game, please start a new character.
We want to take this opportunity and call out to testers and translators - we need your help to make the game as polished as possible! Bugs need to be found, and translations need to be proofread by as many eyes as possible.
Check out translations on Transifex
Show us a bug you found in the wild
Try to write a bug yourself
Or just come and talk to us
To make this the best release possible, any help and feedback is appreciated!
Come to visit our website
-The FreedroidRPG Team
No articles were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the article list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Post article and help us achieve our mission of showcasing the best content from all developers. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.