Dairy 9: Working Towards Beta-2
It’s been a while since I’ve done an update. But things have been ticking along.
One of the main things I’ve been working on recently is getting the game working properly in WebGL. WebGL is a way for people to play Endurance from their browsers without having to install any special software or plugins.
Previously there where some key problems with the WebGL version, such as the lighting, performance and some problematic bugs. However I’ve managed to solve almost all of them now. Also the original WebGL version was 80Megs, it’s now only 20! Perfect for people wanting to get it a try to see if they like it.
I’m still having issues with the lighting though
Lighting: WebGL vs Standalone
As you can see the highlights look quite different. I’ve tried a lot of different things to fix this, but so far the only thing that’s worked is to write my own custom shaders. Looks like I might just have to do this to get it working.
I’ve also been working slowly on a new website www.playendurance.com (it’s not done yet). This will eventually be the website for Endurance, and I hope to post the various versions, and developer logs to there directly in the future.
Apart from the WebGL version I’m also going to fix up the sound effects, and rewrite the spells system.
I’ve also added some basic error logging, so that if the game crashes a report is sent to my website so that I can debug it. Even though no personal data is sent I’ll make sure to have an option for the final release to disable this if people don’t want it. During the beta though it helps me out a lot, and will make sure I can have the game running properly on as many people’s computers as possible.
I’ll be working through beta’s over the next few months, and then start work on the 1.0 version over the Christmas break.