Dust : The Abandoned Land takes place in a large procedurally generated world populated with wildlife, dangerous creatures and other NPC humans (e.g. other survivors, military, bandits). The terrain is entirely constructible/destructible and might feel like a sandbox (once you get strong enough weapons).
The game development started as an experiment on a few gameplay ideas: The character you play is no different from the other NPCs. Like you, they need sleeping, eating, warm, and they are only aware of what they can see or hear. Each creature has its own representation of the world and affinity/relation with other creatures. The ones with high intelligence (e.g. humans) are able to communicate, collaborate, or help each other.
- Aiming controls are set from the point of view of the camera when throwing an object (and not from the point of view of the character).
- Propose to drop the item in hand on the floor when equipping an item and the currently equipped item does not fit in the inventory.
- Rebalance poison, fire, hunger and thirst damages.
- Rebalance sleep and healing. Healing only happen when sleeping.
- Optimize game code.
- Towels can be cut in rags.
- Soap poisons slugs.
- Update melee and ranged combat controls: Freeze direction while loading and unloading a blow. Faster blow release. Animation showing the range.
- New items: smoke bombs, broom, spear, camera consoles, remote camera, smoke gas.
- Gas blocks view.
- Show controller selection menu the first time the game runs.
- Holding a control is equivalent to repeatedly pressing it in the menus.
- Chat / console is triggered by the “delete” button (so “return” can be used to navigate menus).
- Explains why an item cannot be stored in the inventory (e.g. item to heavy).
- Failing to light-up a torch does not close the inventory.
- Can read books and consume items directly, without having to have it in the inventory.
- Show remaining charge of an item in the favorite bar (e.g. battery, torch charge, liquid, bullets).
- Throwing a lighted-up torch sets what it touches on fire (useful for spider webs).
- Enable the selection of controller every time the game starts.
- Instruction screen on the difference between using an item and interacting with the environment.
- Set the auto-aiming default button on the left trigger of the xbox controller.
- Display xbox button icons in the tutorial instructions when using a joystick.
- Make dummies destructible.
- The character keeps moving when pressing and releasing of both left and right controls (on a keyboard).
- Player can skip introduction with joystick.
- Characters don’t spawn in water.
- Character don’t spawn surrounded by enemies.
- Inventory menu don’t get stuck when the player drop the last equipped item.
- The character don’t keep on charging a blow when opening and closing inventory.
- Fix display damage bar of walls when surrounded by non visible blocks.
- Mouse work game menu.
- Can generate survivor groups with multiple members.
- Lone survivor can have keys.
- Tutorial don’t hide the inventory.
After four years of development, I am releasing the first version of “Dust : The Abandoned Land”. Dust is a multiplayer real-time roguelike where...
No articles were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the article list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Post article and help us achieve our mission of showcasing the best content from all developers. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.
First version of the launcher for Dust: The Abandoned Land.
No files were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the file list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Add file and help us achieve our mission of showcasing the best content from all developers. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.