• Register

RPG in a Box is a tool for easily creating 3D grid-based, voxel-style RPGs and adventure games—everything you will need for building and sharing your own game, all packaged together in a box, so to speak! This "box" will contain an assortment of editors (centered around a map editor and a voxel editor) that will allow you to make your game the way you want. I will be striving to make the software user-friendly so that no knowledge of programming, computer graphics, or modelling will be required, all while still maintaining as many customizable aspects as possible so that your game can be unique.

Forum Thread
Load Map - v0.0.10 - Unable to move after script? (Engines : RPG in a Box : Forum : Feedback/Questions : Load Map - v0.0.10 - Unable to move after script?) Locked
Thread Options
Feb 28 2016 Anchor

I seem to be having difficulty using the new tile feature that allows scripts to execute after you walk onto them. I mocked up three quick maps just to test the feature out for myself (and to also provide some assistance to others should they need it). Unfortunately, while I was able to get the script to work from the main map to the second map, I was unable to move my character once the character was in the second map. I was able to turn my character while in first-person mode, though. I did not try top-down for this experiment.

My only thought is that I may need an updated game template. I am presently using the template from the example game. No additional game template programs were available with the new v0.0.10.

Any assistance would be great. Thank you.

Feb 28 2016 Anchor

The game template should be okay, up to this point the templates have remained the same between versions. I tried recreating this but I have not had any luck. If you could, would you mind zipping and uploading your game project to somewhere that I could access? You can just send me a PM with the link. Or if you'd prefer, can you just e-mail the file to me directly using the e-mail address on my profile page. It looks like it may be happening only in certain scenarios, so if you are okay with doing that it would make it a lot easier to nail down where the issue is occurring. Thanks!

Feb 28 2016 Anchor

I think that I figured it out. For the second of the three maps, I used the roof tiles as a floor. Going from the first map directly to the third map worked.

I can't do much more for a while but I've been trying to work on switching animations. My first experiment wasn't successful but it might not have been the most artful attempt.

Feb 28 2016 Anchor

Okay, great, yeah that would make sense. I explained it in some detail in a PM, but basically since that tile was not walkable by default, when you place it into a map it doesn't generate navigation paths to/from it. In that scenario, you have the option of either manually creating the navigation paths between each of the tiles, or you can set that tile to walkable in the Voxel Editor and then delete and redo the floor and it should auto-generate the navigation paths.

I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with! Thanks again for your feedback on everything so far.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.