In usual anniversary of Xash3D Unkle Mike has released new beta-version of the engine. This release is very close to version 1.0, many things are changed or added, but hereupon they should be carefully tested for proper work. NOTE: it's HIGHLY recommended to use newer builds of Xash3D, like 4344, because this build contains different bugs, which were fixed later.
In usual anniversary of Xash3D Unkle Mike has released new beta-version of the engine. This release is very close to version 1.0, many things are changed or added, but hereupon they should be carefully tested for proper work. So don't be lazy, please report about any technical issues or unforeseen discrepancies from standard game's behaviour.
Don't forget to install engine's files properly, including extras for "valve" folder. Otherwise some things will not work as intended or will not work at all. Detailed manual is here. For questions about mods' support refer to this article. Remember that some nowaday mods (or their new versions) which require Steam interfaces are not supported (or have to be patched by old versions of their game dlls to work with Xash3D). Also most of multiplayer mods were not tested thoroughly, but if you have your own experience & found some problems, please report. In most cases, any mods which worked correctly with old WON version of Half-Life, should work correctly with Xash3D too.
As with previous pre-release & experimental builds, the same rule works for build 4097 too: DO NOT USE it with outdated Xash3D games/mods, such as XashXT, Paranoia 2: Savior, Quake Remake. They are not updated yet and will not work with new version of the engine.
Here is a list of changes which were made since previous public build 3887 to current 4097.
- Engine: (NEW!) new version of extended BSP30 map format (increased clipnode limits, adjustable lightmap resolution, per-vertex lighting etc)
- Engine: BSP31 is obsolete now and removed from the engine (please use bsp31migrate.exe tool to convert your old BSP31 maps into new extended BSP30 format)
- Engine: mextrasurf_t reorganized, please check the source code
- Engine: event API reorganized, two old functions were removed & one new added
- Engine: engine feature ENGINE_FIXED_FRAMERATE is no longer supported
- Engine: RenderAPI changed to version 37 and reorganized
- Engine: some unused functions from undocumented part of the game and client interface were replaced by stubs
- Engine: demos protocol changed to version 3
- Engine: (NEW!) implemented "timedemo" command
- Engine: fixed very old bug in CheckParm export function (internal version were not bugged)
- Engine: new queue system for map changing (not stuck with Cbuf_Execute)
- Engine: experimental function CL_ChangeGame removed from the engine
- Engine: enabled interpolation for addangle (fixangle = 2)
- Engine: added a handle for exception in Q_vsnprintf to prevent engine's crash on the error of formatted args
- Engine: (NEW!) new polymorphic BSP loader
- Render: mirrors are not supported anymore and have been removed from the engine (but will be kept maintained by such mods as XashXT or P2: Savior)
- Render: allowed colors remapping for alias player models (for Quake 1)
- Render: tuned up intensity of dynamic lights (affects alias and studio models)
- Render: (NEW!) enabled built-in MSAA feature ("gl_enable_msaa" cvar in opengl.cfg)
- Render: fixed bug of "sticky bind" on texture's uploading
- Render: most of internal procedural textures have been moved out from the engine (kept only those textures which engine is using itself)
- Render: fixed VERY old (since Quake 1) bug of R_LightPoint which has contained inaccurate color samples from lightmap and produced invalid results in some cases
- Render: (NEW!) added new extension of BSP file format (lightmaps which are based now on luxel per units instead of luxel per texels). Also check P2: Savior compile tools, they allow to use this new feature.
- Render: fixed bug of sorting STUDIO_NF_ADDITIVE meshes in studio models (old Half-Life bug)
- Render: fixed perfomance-killing water subdivision bug on water's rendering
- Render: (NEW!) "r_drawentities 7" now shows world position of luxel for lighting
- Render: removed all unused GL-extensions
- Render: fixed 16-bit color mode and NPOT textures case
- Render: now, if video subsystem's initalization is failed, game shows system error instead of switching into dedicated mode
- Render: removed rotational sky's support (it just never be used by anybody)
- Client: implemented predictable laser spot for RPG weapon
- Client: rewritten HudSprite manager to allow the download of missed HUD sprites
- Client: rewritten SPR_GetList to prevent memory leak (old Half-Life bug)
- Client: getAppID changed to 70
- Client: single export for client.dll renamed to GetClientAPI
- Client: (NEW!) added mp3 command like in GoldSrc (warning - not tested yet)
- Client: (NEW!) cvar value request can now detect mismatches between cvar.string and cvar.value to detect potential cheaters
- Client: (NEW!) added built-in resource paths to list downloadable resources
- Client: revision of tempents code, fixed some bugs
- Client: (NEW!) EF_MUZZLEFLASH can work now for alias models (Quake 1)
- Server: fixed problems with russian letters in chat
- Server: "decalfrequency" parameter is stored now into config.cfg
- Server: (NEW!) implemented instanced baselines (which can be specified by user)
- Server: (NEW!) implemented resource consistency check (model CRC and bounds)
- Server: (NEW!) first implementation of server's game log
- Server: "changelevel" command is not supported anymore (only internal changelevel is possible)
- Server: "kill" command moved from server to the client
- Server: (NEW!) new save/restore system which supports saved games made with GoldSrc (but old Xash3D saves are not supported from now on, also backward compatibility of new Xash3D saves with GoldSrc is not guaranteed & wasn't tested)
- Server: (NEW!) implemented server FPS control called "sv_fps" (use with precaution)
- Server: fixed some bugs in unlag system
- Network: (NEW!) network connection completely rewritten to allow downloading and uploading of files (missing resources, player logos)
- Network: (NEW!) first implementation of player's customization (to use custom logo put preferred logo in folder "valve\logos" with name remapped.bmp, color logos are supported)
- Network: network protocol changed to version 49
- Network: (NEW!) implemented a sign-on sequence
- Network: max size of user messages is increased up to 2048 bytes
- Network: IPX protocol is no longer supported and has been removed
- Network: (NEW!) new experimenal system to get maximum pack size for UDP (official size is 1200 bytes, but in theory it can be increased up to 64000 bytes)
- Network: (NEW!) new generic resource system which includes sounds, models, events, decals and all other types
- Network: StudioDecal message moved out from the engine completely
- Network: (NEW!) fragmented packets now can be compressed by LZSS algorhytm
- Console: (NEW!) mapinfo now shows information about editor and compiler
- Console: debug messages system rewritten as in Quake (Con_Printf instead of MsgDev)
- Console: fixed ConsolePrint to allow messages to go only into notify buffer
- VGUI: CEngineApp class declared as static
- VGUI: (NEW!) rewritten font manager, enabled vertex arrays support
- GameUI: (NEW!) import interface updated by two new functions (save file and remove file)
- GameUI: fixed old crash of player setup and changelevel on a background map
- Sound: fixed save/restore bug with static sounds
- Sound: some minor changes in DirectSound backend code
- Memory: fixed bug in Mem_CheckFilename
If you'd like to support Unkle Mike and inspire him for further development of Xash3D, you can donate him some money via:
FPS in this build seems to be capped at 200. Is this a bug or intentional?
Unkle Mike wrote about cap in 220 fps when tested new XashXT build. May be bug.
Alright, thanks. Another issue I noticed is related to AOM:DC. Even if all endings are beaten (i.e all gmgeneral*.aomdc files are present), the AUG doesn't spawn in the bathroom.
EDIT: Nevermind post above. I fixed that problem.
Xash3d really has cap in 200fps. Not a bug.
Was the cap necessary? Any reason behind it?
Some graphics cards can overload when there isn't a cap, Sims 3 taught me that.
Check your fps_max parameter. Also check if you have vertical sync enabled in Video modes. Current build has no fps caps except things I've mentioned. Also check video device in the header of your console log - engine shows which card now is used for rendering (if you have more than 1). If you have low fps it's probably a problem of your performance in specific part of current map.
Also, as I wrote many times, Xash3D & GoldSrc have fps-depended game mechanics, so fps uncapping is not good thing for the gameplay and can be source of bugs with animations & physics. The best choice is to limit your fps by enabling vertical sync.
This work for ios 11.3.1 64bit?
Windows only %)
For iOS 11 try test version of Xash3D FWGS from here: Github.com
How do i fix this error: DELTA_load: couldnt load file delta.lst
valve folder from normal Half-Life version contains this file.
I can't save the main game or a mod anymore.
...and there's a few seconds of lag when starting the game. Same thing when you minimize the game then maximize it.
and an error: overflow 4096 tracers... This is an error i have never seen before. Its a very, very, very long list repeating this error.
Maybe it's related to that lag? idk.
Save system have been rewritten. Now old Xash3D game saves are unsupported and can not be loaded, but you can load GoldSrc saves instead. New system was intended to work properly. But it looks like something is wrong with saving a game from main menu. Quicksaving works fine though. Or you can save/load via console commands, like:
What about lag and tracers. If you use -dev 3 parameter to enable console, try -dev instead. In new build -dev = -dev 3 in old build, and -dev 3 = old -dev 5 (most detailed logging). Users don't need detailed logging in most cases, and it can be a source of performance losses.
Tracers not a problem at all, just can be annoying sometimes if detailed logging is enabled.
im not using -dev at all. Im just using -console.
what about the lag though? whats up with that??
i suppose it has to do with being a beta build.
I'm not sure what kind of lag you mentioned. I don't see significant differencies with how previous builds worked. And I don't have any problems with minimizing. Some lags on first start of the engine can be normal or can be conditioned by HDD cashing or by activity of your anti-virus program. It's if we are talking about time which engine needs to start/load the game at first time. Or do you want to say, that you have lags after map is loaded already? I didn't understand from your words what exactly happens. Try previous builds (3598 for example) to see what happens if you use them. As I said, I see no difference or something else what I could mention as a "lag problem".
the Sierra start up has a lag before it plays and if I minimize the game then maximize then the fps will lag for a few seconds.
its isnt game breaking so I'll just deal with it.
okay it seems cfg files don't work correctly now... sigh. it says "execing autoexec.cfg" but doesnt execute all of the commands if have in there. *EDIT* NEVERMIND LOL THIS MESSAGE
was the cmd endgame done away with?
There is no such command as endgame. Nor in Xash, nor in GoldSrc.
Autoexec.cfg is not for any parameter. Try userconfig.cfg instead. Also make sure that your commands are supported by Xash3D (some GoldSrc commands are not supported). Also some commands require sv_cheats or developer mode enabled.
i must be not remembering the command name correctly, but I am certain there was a command that ended the current game and went back to the menu. Compare with "quit" which shut down the game completely.
The lag I mentioned earlier in this discussion still happens when start an older release of xash3d. You mentioned something about HDD cashing; how would I fix regarding this? It's not antivirus because I have it on the "Don't bother" list.
Thank you for taking the time to speak to me
I see no problem in what you call "lag". The things looks normal for me. Game just needs time to load properly. Or maybe it's your system related (if it's really looks like laaaaag for you, lol, but I doubt this).
that's what I'm saying, it's lag for me cause it's something with my system and not the game.
I tried an earlier build where I had no problems and it does the same thing. It's just me that's experiencing this and I thought maybe you could give me an idea.
Add -dev to commandline / shortcut and intro will be skipped. I doubt you like to watch it everytime anyway. This parameter also enables console and sv_cheats. And please let's finish this almost useless thread.
nah, it still does it; when it starts and after minimizing. You said something about HDD caching, but.... if your too annoyed with this then I'll leave you alone.
As I said delays are NORMAL, so it's useless to complain about them.
I have never had a problem with delays up until now so it's NOT normal to me. It's okay though I can live with it just thought you might have some ideas.
What a ridiculously and unnecessarily patronising way to respond to someone kindly asking for help. Okay he didn't upload logs, and it isn't your job to provide support but be a little less harsh. I see you responding in this tone to almost everyone. We all really really love Xash3D but just calm down man :)
Oh, excuse me sir, you so right sir, you showed me the righteous way sir, thank you sir.
Thank You. Im starting to wonder if this is the real author... Maybe someone who manages the real author's account cause of fluent english skills I guess?
You've wrote many words, but you didn't describe your problem well enough. "I have lag". I have no idea of what exactly you called lag. I have delays when game is starting, and it's normal. From your words you just think you have a problem, that's all I see. You seek for help, but how can I help you if I see no problem? That's why this thread looks useless for me. I'm busy man and I'm hate to spend my time for nothing. Moreover, speaking English to you is not so easy for me as you think, especially because I'm trying to be understandable for my interlocutor, what I can't say about you. Try to be understandable, if you want help. Give more detailed information, make a video or just don't waste the time of other people and try to solve the problem on your own. Xash3D's provided as is, without any warranty and it will be better for you if you learn some existing information before asking for help. You don't even know, who the author of the engine, whatever.
Out of curiosity, when do you plan on the next update?
When it will be ready enough to put it there.
Hello, uhm i have a problem i don't know if this is particularly a problem or a bug or I maybe be doing something wrong on the installation, i did everything right on the install process but here it is, whenever i finish the hazard course training (HL, and Blue Shift) I don't go back to the main menu or the game never recognizes the command to 'endgame' the level after completion which a bit annoying and weird, so before i install it again and give it another try, is there a way to fix it or is it some type of bug you guys haven't noticed or fixed, pls. respond and thank you and impressive engine to play half life btw but it really kills me whenever this error happens.
You mean, you see console messages & the last is Host_EndGame? After game ends the engine returns you directly in the main menu only if you don't have developer's mode enabled. If you have developer's mode enabled, you'll be returned in console screen instead of game menu. It's not a bug, Xash3D always behaved like this. Just press Esc & you'll quit from console to the main menu. Or don't enable devmode (use -console instead of -dev).
I cannot save from the main menu. Something to do with the WON menu in the older version extras?
It's a bug of current version of the engine. Try previous version if it bothers you much. You still can save your game with quicksaving/autosaving or using "save" command in console, like:
i can't play multiplayer in normal half-life, this option appears disabled
Delete this line from gameinfo.txt in "valve" folder:
Hey Help me please when I open the program it will have a white screen and only to hear the sound of the game
continued with the white screen did not help me at all
You may have white screen only if game resources are missed / not (properly) installed. You have to install Half-Life game files & patch from Xash3D extras. You've missed or mixed up something, it's no doubt.
but when I tighten on compatibility issues windows says that it is incompatible what I do not understand
is windows 7 ultimate 64 bits