Strictly speaking the original Eldritch also supports modding, but mEldritch aims to make it a lot easier. So, I've taken the Eldritch source code David so generously released and did this to it:
- unified build system (Makefiles & gcc) on all 3 supported platforms (Windows 7, MacOSX, Linux)
- ported editor and all tools (except for the ContentSyncer) to Mac and Linux
- revised loader for game assets, for easy overriding of game assets in mods
- revised config file loader, with a similar purpose
- changed a few editor key bindings from the original, since they clashed with stuff on Linux or Mac. Also, made a few other keys available in the game, like Quicksave/load (using the latter will leave a mark on your game screen, though ;) )
- screenshots working on all platforms
- made all spawners that make sense available in the editor
- and a load of smaller things to facilitate the above
- provided an example mod, and something resembling the beginnings of a documentation
new in build 128:
- can now remove _and_restore_ hands and/or HUD.
- new subtool in level editor to select the voxel set (a.k.a. world) for your level
- changed save file extension so that it does not collide with regular eldritch saves, and you don't have to give those up. Also, changesd log file name.
- the editor now remembers the last directory where you saved or loaded something, even across sessions.
- added PNG as a texture format
- added a new book an some ifrastructure to load world mods, like MoM
- added a simple world to play with. It's ugly and there's nothing to do, but it should serve as a starting point for something real.
new in build 183:
- small fix to SDL controller code (fix from Github.com
- ported tools/xmlmeshexport.py to Blender 2.6x
- added more mod examples: TouristMode, SampleObjects, ExplosivePenguinInvasion
(the latter was contributed by Alex from the Steam forums)
- enabled world generation statistics
- help on all keys in room editor
- room editor now uses native file dialogs
- room editor will now ask for confirmation when overwriting an existing
room on save
- added preview mode for the room editor
- removed option to create larger rooms in the room editor (they are not
supported by the maze generator)
- added "Open Mod Dir" to opening and pause menu screen for easier access
- (some) runtime errors now show a dialog before quitting mEldritch
- Bugfixes and minor tweaks
I still have a few more plans, but this should be usable for "serious" modding. Note that this does not contain any steam specific content, as the original source code doesn't, either.
You can get binaries for all 3 supported platforms and the source code from
Please make sure to check the readme for installation instructions. Should be easy enough, though.
Edit: added supported platforms.
Edit: added information abut new release