Apocryph is an old-school fantasy shooter inspired by Hexen, Heretic, Painkiller and Strife.
- Static, carefully handcrafted levels and level-hubs, all packed with secrets, monsters and traps.
- Your character can wield up to 9 different weapons with alternative fire modes, including melee armaments, spells, staffs and artifacts.
- Items can help you in tough situations, health potions will aid your health, mana vials can restore your mana, combat items can do some damage to an opponent.
- There are also more rare and powerful relics to be found, such as the dreaded Obliterator Mask, which encases you in a suit of nigh-impenetrable armor, allows you to bash enemies with your plain fists and send powerful shockwaves across the walls and floor, or the Essence of the Reaper, which turns you into an avatar of Death itself, boosting your speed, granting you wings to perform double jumps and a wicked scythe which cleaves and destroys any opponent.
- Some weapons and items can be used to stun enemies, freeze them solid, deal area of effect damage or even provide defensive measures.
- The game uses a sophisticated gore system. A powerful finishing blow can rip a part of the enemy right out of him, while critically over damaging an opponent literally blows them to pieces, with limbs flying across the room and sticking to the walls.