In The Arcane Relics™, you are cast into the land of Terradim – a land full of wonder, mystery, & great danger. Assume the role of any type of character you wish in this wacky fantasy-medieval sandbox experience, featuring 4-player split-screen mayhem!
The game features strategic combat where hits can be placed on specific limbs, crippling them, and characters are limited in action via stamina. Armor pieces also slow down the wearer and only protect the limbs that they cover.
The end goal of this project is to make a dynamic fantasy sandbox with hand-crafted environments emphasizing co-op. Of course, the game will be playable in single player as well. The game is currently in a pre-alpha state, very early on, but playable.
Hello everyone! Today marks our 3rd year anniversary of developing The Arcane Relics! Wow, already 3 years… We certainly underestimated the amount of time needed to get this game to where it is, but we’ve learned a lot and continue to surprise ourselves by what we’re able to accomplish. This past year we’ve managed to release the 1st public demo and are getting closer to the next update. This update will include an overview of changes since last year, as well as what we've been up to the last few weeks or so. First up, a year to this day-
We’ve made a lot of improvements since last November. Some notables:
(Some of these images may look familiar.)
In public demo, but not present a year ago:
This is not a complete list, either.
Another main focus has been rebuilding and cleaning up old code and models. Since you can learn a lot in 3 years, we have found the need to revisit or, at least, clean up/improve some systems & graphics that were started near the beginning of development. The tricky bugs/issues seem to crop up in the stuff you haven’t looked at in a while.
This last week Jon primarily returned to working on the party setup, trying to improve the usability of the menus and fixing bugs with creating characters. He also improved the device query (“Waiting for input…”). Joining on a controller should be much more responsive now.
I worked on making the newest buildings into prefabs (optimizing & polishing) & made lily pad hats and cattail props.
Unity Tip: Jon also discovered builtin API in Unity for capturing a screenshot!
Maybe we won’t have lots of crazy cropped screenshot resolutions in the future… :)
Another magic catalyst.
This fixes hair clipping with helms.
Continuing work from previous weeks, Dalwood has grown in size. Now there’s a transition to the forest from a scene other than the Town.
Lower right: a view towards where the old edge of forest was (by sign signifying that you will “reach the edge of the world!”). Upper left: leads to pond area at lower left.
Alas, currently the forest doesn’t quite have the magical feel I’d hoped for… Therefore in the next version, one of the things I want/plan to do is to overhaul/redo the trees (particularly the oak & maple), making them taller & larger (adding variations, and some unique trees & roots). This, among other things planned, might do the trick. ;)
We’re still working away and are still aiming to release the next version before the end of the year. Hang in there! :)
Progress report (from April 30-June 3): control changes, new magic system preview, new buildings, sprinting FOV, respawn system, & more!
No articles were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the article list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Post article and help us achieve our mission of showcasing the best content from all developers. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.
First demo released to the public! (Pre-Alpha, v0.0.22.2)
No files were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the file list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.