Hey, I'm Christophe Galati (chrisDeneos). 2014 marked the 25th anniversary of the Game Boy. With that in mind, I launched myself into the creation of a game, Tasukete Tako-San: Save me Mr Tako. To me, this game is a way to take what I've learnt and pay tribute to my influences with my first “real” indie game that I intend to publish. The team consists of a friend who is doing all the sound design and music (Marc-Antoine Archier), and me, the programmer, game designer and graphics designer.
- Platformer / Action game. You have to travel through a dangerous world whilst saving as many people as possible and fighting assorted enemies and bosses with the help of different powers.
- You play Mr Tako, a small octopus that can move, jump, and spit ink . Spitting ink onto an enemy will paralyze them, allowing you to use their body as a block. This makes it possible to create new paths or to protect yourself from enemies using these new platforms to your advantage.
- You can find chests which give you one of the 35 (current number) hats . A hat gives you an additional power . These are very varied, ranging from improving your abilities (life, amount of ink, speed, jump height, ...), or stronger powers (sword, bow, bombs, etc. ..). Also, if you have a hat, you can take an extra hit before dying.
- If you already have a hat, it will stock it if you find a new one. You can take it again with Select button.
- When you break pots you can find ink, lives and gems. Finding 100 gems gives you an extra life.
- You will encounter many differents bosses.
- You can change the Color Palet, like on the Game Boy Color, and set the pixel matrix on the screen.
"During a stormy night, an army of Octopuses attacked a humain ship. One of them saved a woman who fell into the sea. A fairy, which saw is actions, give him the power to breath outside the water, but in exchange, he has to promise to never hate a human."
- In this mode, you go through Levels. When you finish a level, the next one will be unlock. In some levels you will find hat powers, which will help you reach the end. In each level, there are three abducted children that you will have to save.
- Kirby-like Worldmap, you can go to level doors moving and jumping like you will do in a regular level. On the worldmap, your ink gauge is infinite so you can play with your powers. Separate in multiple worlds, you can return to the previous world when you want.
- Dialog System, to speak with the characters and progress through the story.
- Village and special places. Some places in the world which are not levels. You will have to go in those places in your quest. You can find merchants and side quests there.
- Tako-house, a place in the worldmap where you can go to take one of the power you already found.
- Hidden levels, that you can find using a specific power in a certain place, or resolving a side quest.
- Local Multiplayer mode. 2-4 players.
- Select one of the different Octopuses characters to play.
- Co Op mode: play the Runner mode with your friend, in his semi randomly infinite world.
- Versus Mode: Arena battle, like Towerfall. There are some chest in the Arena that will randomly attribute you one of the additionnal powers. You have to beat your friends with them.
- The game is set in a semi-randomly generated world , with forced side-scrolling. There are currently about 300 patterns, divided into three worlds. These are assembled to form a random level. There is a difficulty curve which changes the environment as you advance.
- You can affect the scrolling speed with signs. Walk on them increase the speed but, if you spit ink over them before walking, they will slow the scrolling down. However, faster scrolling also means a higher score!
- When you die, a Phoenix resurect you while you have lives.
"A long time ago, the Octopus was the master race on earth. They were the guardians of the memory of an ancient world, using their wisdom to rule peacefully. But that was before the rise of a new race. Humans. Since the advent of humanity, octopuses were hunted, eaten and used in nefarious ways. Humiliated and defiled over the centuries; one octopus decided to avenge the honor of his kind by putting an end to the human species. Overcome with madness, he began to kidnap young people, plunging the world into chaos. But there is one last hope for the world. This hope... is you."
The final game will be composed of a Story Mode, Multiplayer mode and Runner mode. I intend to released it on Wii U eShop and Steam, if everything goes to plan.
The first demo that I published on 29th September 2014, the original release date of the Game Boy in Europe, 24 years ago.
Hi everybody :) I haven't posted anything here since Christmas, time went fast, but the game is progressing well. Two days ago was Tako second birthday, so I decided to make it a milestone. I began the devlopment of the game on the 31/03/2014, and the game as grown well.
Yeah, it's Tako's birthday!
- 30 levels
- 5h of gameplay
- 6 towns
- 15 side quests
- 50 special powers
From a story telling point, I think I have half of the content of the full game, so there is still a lot of things to do. The world is now set up, it will now be less linear to let the player do things in the order he wants. I still hope I will be able to finish the game this year.
What's new !
There is now an Unlock Sytem, which make you unlock titlescreens, characters for the Runner mode and bosses for the Boss Mode as you progress through the Story mode:
When you restart the game, it will first put a titlescreen similar to the last scene of the Story mode, then if you restart, it put one you have unlocked randomly.
It also means that I've started the devlopment of the boss mode. Currently you can just see the sprite of the bosses you already fought, but soon you will be able to fight them again one by one or all in a raw whenever you want.
There are now 50 special powers! I think I will not make new powers anymore.
I'm now working on the world 4 of the game, so there are news places, features and also new enemies!
I attended some events in France since the begining of the year, where I received good feedbacks to helped me improve the game. I hope I will be able to attend Amaze Berlin this month, and Stunfest next month.
Those feedbacks help me to improve some levels:
Add new scenes/levels where the rythm was less good:
And add flashback to understand more some characters of the game:
Here are more screenshots:
If you haven't seen it yet, here is an Interview where I explain a lot about the Game genesis and the way I see it (English subtitles availables)
That concludes this news. I can't give you a release date yet, I want to take my time to make the best game possible. Thank you all for your support during these two amazing years of devlopment, I hope you will like the game as much as I enjoyed creating it. @ChrisDeneos
No articles were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the article list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Post article and help us achieve our mission of showcasing the best content from all developers. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.
No files were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the file list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Add file and help us achieve our mission of showcasing the best content from all developers. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.