It's a sequel of Invader Attack, but much better in every possible way. I paid particular attention to the realism and the graphics this time. They're fully 3D and polished and the collisions are realistic as well. Visual effects, behaviors, AI and overall gameplay experience should interest even the core shmup fans.
I am a fan of shmups. I'm not saying I'm a core fan, but I did like the genre when I was a kid. I sucked at playing shmups, but still was very excited while playing them. Had eyes wide open, a grin on my face and a somewhat retarded overall look.
What I was unable to find was the shmup where everything collides with everything else and behaves closer to how things work in reality. So, few dozen years later I made such a game. And I'm freaking proud of it.
Early gameplay video made during development of the v0.7 shows how game can get very intense and real: Indiedb.com
Version 1.0 was released on 8th August 2014. It's a final version, fully finished game with all bugs fixed, performance issues solved, annoyances altered to be less annoying, optimized with an almost 10% performance gain in comparison with the 0.9.7 release.
This is it folks, try it for yourself: Codergames.com
Demo allows you to play only one level and the level is introductory, invaders don't really attack that much and there's a single type of invader. Trailer is not revealing much either, on top of that it's too old now, it was done back when 0.7 version was the latest.
I had several testers from IndieDB testing the game, but if you notice something not working properly, please do tell, I'm eager to fix all the bugs, even though I already fixed all I knew about and I'm not aware there are more.
I hope you'll like the game as this is kind of game I always wanted to play but nothing similar was present on the market, invaders were mostly predictable waves of brainless sprites and whatnot. I wanted to make something original by implementing many features not seen so far in any similar game. Let me know if I succeeded.
UPDATE: game received a review from IGM (v0.9.7): Indiegamemag.com
IMPORTANT: for all of you expecting to play the game for free, I'm afraid you'll be disappointed to know that I spent a very long time thinking about the ways to make a smart and bulletproof protection and I successfully made it and integrated it with this game. I call it a 'puzzler'. It puzzles even me, I failed to crack the game and I'm the one who made the protection, that's how good the protection is. I think crackers will give up after few years of trying. Will use same protection for all my future games, including the upcoming Shmup God.
After a while I managed to fully finish the game and fix all the minor bugs and major performance issues in the process. Apart from that I altered the biggest annoyance of all - achievement shields. The game won't be stopped for a parade of achievement shields anymore, instead the shields will be displayed in the lower right corner. I still highly recommend that the game be played on a widescreen with a widescreen resolution (the default configuration).
Demo is actually a full game, it's just that installer uses an extreme compression, the game is twice the size of the installer: Codergames.com
Here's a full list of what's been done since the last public release:
v1.0 (August, 8th 2014)
- Final release.
v0.9.9 (August, 3rd 2014)
- Many optimizations done on the code, the game is almost 10% faster than before, ensuring even smoother play on slower computers and slower graphic cards.
v0.9.8.4 (August, 2nd 2014)
- Final level finished, last boss implemented as well. - Minor collision issues resolved.
v0.9.8.3 (July, 27th 2014)
- Achievements display was altered, it doesn't stop the game anymore, it's now smaller and moved to the bottom right side of the view. Still widescreen monitor and resolution is recommended.
v0.9.8.2 (July, 20th 2014)
- Many optimizations, game is not performing even faster and smoother than before. I know, it's hard to believe that it could possibly perform any better.
v0.9.8.1 (July, 13th 2014)
- Fixed collision detection which didn't detect entire play area and some of the collision were passing undetected or not immediately detected.
- Fixed power laser collision. When used, power laser would destroy not just the enemies in its way but also the enemies who still did not land.
v0.9.8 (July, 5th 2014)
- Fixed one of the enemies wrong behaviors.
- Fixed laser bug that would cause green lasers to keep on appearing after the life is lost.
- Fixed bug with enemy not recharging.
- Fixed loader screen after area is passed, it would show the last level after fade out. It's now just showing the score and lives while loading.