Command your own Starship! Take control of a powerful faster than light ship. You control the crew and the stations. Your skills as a commander will either help you to survive the perils of the galaxy, or cause your crew to perish. Your crew lead the way. You keep them fed, give them rest, and entertainment. Assign them to stations to boost your ships abilities and level up their skills. Each crewman is unique and valuable. Each one you let die is a huge set back! Explore the galaxy! Trade between worlds, and use diplomacy to learn the secrets of the universe. IF all else fails, make planet fall and explore the world on foot. Upgrades are everywhere! New ships are available at every port. Purchase helpful stations which you can place on board your ship to help your crew, or your combat abilities. Powerful guns and armor are available as well to keep the commander safe on his away missions.
Interstellaria Hits Beta
What are your orders captain? Interstellaria has just hit v0.5, and that means we're in beta! I can't tell you how excited I am to be at this point. Before I get into the gritty details of what this all means for you, let me just say thank you for everyone who has supported the project so far. From kickstarter backers, to greenlight voters, to well-wishers, bug finders, and even idea-havers. Thank you all. It's because of you that a game has been built!
Here is a quick preview of something that has changed from inception, to beta
What Is Beta?
- Mechanic complete. 90% of all mechanics are coded in. There are a few minor mechanics (mostly when on planets) that's left to do, but that'll only happen as each world is built. There's not much more coding to do. That DOES NOT mean its bug free, there will still be issues that come up as we go!
- 1/4th content complete. This might seem low for a lot of people, but the game has been built foundation up. Creating a new world is now a task of art, music, and design. What would take months for otherwise can now be done in a week or two with good planning. That’s not to say content in game won't change. Testing will refine and change things.
- More user friendly. We've added a tutorial, several UI changes, and more to make things a lot more user friendly. Of course, we're always tweaking things (for example a text scrolling change coming soon).
If you are are a kickstarter backer with beta access, the goals will be simple
- Balance. Some things are likely overpowered, some things underpowered. The only way to know is through testing.
- Progression. When you're a developer you can breeze through content and combat quickly. Outside eyes are needed to discover where the game is too short, and where it drags.
- Content. Levels need to be tested, tried, and broken. As new content unrolls over the rest of the dev cycle, it'll also need to be thoroughly broken and rebuilt by the players. The beta is being distributed by the Humble Store to beta backers - so you should be getting your key soon if you backed the game!
We've already built up quite a few things to test out
as well as all the races and ships to test!
Moving on, what's new since our last update overall?
Many new events are in game!
Some new gear
Suns and planets now show up as you travel
Anomalies may now show up and cause trouble
We've added an artifact log to help track important things you've found along the way
As well as a minimal view of the star map!
As well as a few UI updates
We’ve also updated ground based dialogue screens as well
Planet ghfi is now in game and has several missions for you
New side activities are also in
Also, I'm very excited say that we've added an additional "main" race into the game! That means they can equip armor and guns. The race has new ships, dialogue, and territory. I just felt like 4 was an odd number for main races. Introducing the plant like Suna!
As always I'm sure there's more, but you'll have to play the game (if you have access) to know.
Now onto the big question - WHEN WILL THE GAME BE DONE?! I swear it's the first question everyone always asks me. If you've been following the updates, you know I decided to push development into January. This is to avoid problems with taxes, as well as to avoid the holidays. After much discussion with everyone involved I am also considering pushing into March as well. I know this comes as a disappointment for many not involved in testing the game, but it's important for the game to be completed and to avoid cutting corners. The goal is to have the content completed in January (or close to it) and then spend the remaining few months polishing and testing the game. I feel the crunch in launching so close to games completion would result in too many problems.
I just ask you guys all trust me on this decision. It's only done in the interest of the game. I’ve spent roughly 10 months so far putting out weekly builds, which is sort of unheard of for most projects. I hope that the constant progress, communication, and implantation of feedback serves to show the integrity of the project.
And finally, a simple trailer showing some of the new features!
Latest tweets from @coldrice_dev
17hours 46mins ago
Hit 1700 followers is that right? seems crazy
18hours 23mins ago
@DarkestKale beta level? Please do!
Mar 26 2015, 8:23pm
Seeing people get to the end of Interstellaria plot is really cool
Mar 26 2015, 8:00pm
This gun does no damage. It doesn't do anything. It just shoots confetti T.co
Mar 26 2015, 6:14am
@PPC_WOLFPACKED Sunday-> monday was 3 hours. Mon->Tues was 7.5. Tonight? We'll see
Mar 25 2015, 6:45am
Added a cute little bow for really no reason at all T.co
Mar 25 2015, 6:38am
@FraynkWash The sugar that burns off makes it like... extra crispy bro. Really good
Mar 25 2015, 2:50am
Had to try the Krispy Kreme / waffle maker thing. It's AMAZING most of the sugar burns off, so it's semi sweet/crispy T.co
Mar 25 2015, 2:48am
Instead of going to bed at the usual 5am or 6am I'm going to be at 2:30am. I hope this will super charge my dev tomorrow
Mar 24 2015, 5:25am