• Register

Gentrieve 2 is a "Metroid"-style 3D action game featuring completely random & customizable worlds. The year is 3080. Mass Generators are creating everything, everywhere. However, thieves often steal Mass Generators in hopes of creating robot armies & fortresses. Thieves are terrible programmers, though, and their creations become uncontrollably hostile & fortresses wildly convoluted. It is your job to clear out these fortresses & return the faulty Mass Generators. Be warned, when the Mass Generator is taken offline, the fortress will soon implode!

Forum Thread
Impassable Rooms Pt. 2 (Games : Gentrieve 2 : Forum : General Discussion : Impassable Rooms Pt. 2) Locked
Thread Options
Apr 2 2013 Anchor

This time, it's personal! (read: Not so much 'impassable' as 'more difficult than need be to progress through') I've encountered several rooms now, at the start of a new game, where the floor is so far below the ledges in front of the room-transition portals that the only way to get back up is to use the 'Rescue' key, which takes away 300 Health. There are crates (usually one per one of these rooms) that I might possibly use to get back up, but as I said, this is at the beginning of the game, and I don't have the box-picker-upper.

Additionally, either in these rooms or others, are the ledges that can only be reached through the use of the moving platform underneath, which happens to be directly underneath, and not off to the side a little. If moving laterally were a little more speedy, this wouldn't be so much of an obstacle (I'm not aware of a power up that speeds aerial movement, but the point is moot when the only path available is up and over one of these ledges).

Again, not game-haltingly serious issues. These things may have been left in to get the player to play more strategically, for all I know.

Apr 3 2013 Anchor

May you provide a screenshot of the room floors you are referring to? You can use the print screen key to copy what's on the screen to the clipboard, then paste it in an image editor, file > save.

Apr 6 2013 Anchor

Pit o Doom

This is one of the rooms with the ground floor so far below any of the platforms (the only ones in this room are the ones shown on screen). There was a block off to the side (other than that, the room was a big, fat empty), but pushing it directly underneath the lowest of these platforms didn't provide enough extra height to clear the lip. Also shown is a vertically moving platform (it's the one directly underneath the platform of the same mosaic texture). I had a tough time moving to the side and back quickly enough to make the landing.

Apr 9 2013 Anchor

What information did you use to generate this world? e.g. is it a custom game / specific game? If I know the world name and all the parameters, I can generate the same world & take a look. Also, which room is it in the world (e.g. the start room, a few rooms in?)

Apr 13 2013 Anchor

It was a random world, I think. The specific code for it is JYDhcM2LEZ. The room pictured is directly next to the start room (opposite the portal to a Save room, IIRC).

Edited by: predcon

Apr 13 2013 Anchor

OK, I tested that room out -- here is what is going on:

1) You fell off the main platform path, into the pit below. There are many places where if you fall, you can't get back up without being "rescued" (e.g. default "Backspace" key) which takes some health.

2) It is possible to jump from that moving platform to the one above it, although it is a little tricky. When the platform is going up, jump just off the edge of it and up along the side of the platform above. You should have plenty of height to position yourself over the platform above.

Since you are really close to the starting room, you can always go back and heal yourself if you are spending lots of health on being rescued!

EDIT: Sounds like you may have already realized the top two points :P Yeah, I leave these types of rooms in to give a bit more challenge to the platforming every once in awhile...

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.