Our first major release of 2017!
And a major release it is, with a changelog to rival even Alpha 12 and, even better, early-game content updates so that everyone can experience lots of new stuff rather than just those players exploring the late game. Alpha 13 brings with it a "new narrative," yet more UI features, mechanics... basically a ton of improvements to simply make Cogmind even more engaging.
There's so much new stuff I can't spoil (one of the new features took two weeks to fully implement, but I've not yet said anything about it!), but below you can see a sampling of some of the new features included in Alpha 13 (the previous post contains other relevant images):
Part sorting is now fully automated! (you can turn it off or adjust the delay in the options)
Default item label colors are darkened for items with less than 75% of integrity remaining.
Option to color labels by item integrity (animated version).
Dozens of new parts.
And among them are some new mechanics, like the Triangulator.
Viewing how close hostiles are to spotting you (Triangulator).
Indicating how many enemies are currently tracking you (Triangulator).
Activating a Triangulator.
Refit option becomes available immediately at Repair Stations if they take your last power source or other replaceable part.
Glow effect when the next action will confirm destruction of a processor.
Imp. Signal Interpreter differentiates between known non-hostile classes (green) and potentially hostile classes (red) for faster visual parsing.
Run-ending options require confirmation to help prevent unintended suicide.
Option/toggle to persistently use darker regular colors rather than the green overlay for areas outside FOV.
Near-to-far armed-hostiles-only keyboard cycling (with three pairs of valid keys).
Automatically re-targeting the same space again (for obvious nefarious purposes).
Auto-recall previously used waypoints for subsequent guided weapon firing.
Item near-to-far examine (although in most case it'll still be more efficient to just move or jump the examine cursor, or use the popup labels).
Said jumping is here--cursor jumping a customizable distance via Shift-Numpad (sorry, no vi/arrow support for this one).
See here for the full release notes with plenty more details!
The full Alpha 13 (0.10.170117) changelog:
- NEW: Branch map "Zion" expanded
- NEW: 1 major plot event with potentially far-reaching effects
- NEW: 1 major new NPC (unique robot class)
- NEW: 1 new common robot w/unique behavior, "Thief"
- NEW: 5 new special robots (3 unique classes, 10 variants in all)
- NEW: 32 new items (total = 800)
- NEW: Trap items have a unique sprite
- NEW: New special item type in caves: Scrap (moving onto it automatically searches)
- NEW: Wide-ranging set of ally-sourced hacking abilities to discover, available as part of a new system
- NEW: More reasons to visit Mines (what those are I'll leave you to discover)
- NEW: Several new cave encounters
- NEW: 87 more score sheet entries (total = 579)
- NEW: 3 new low/mid-tier Fabricators and Recycling Units
- NEW: Ninth damage type (secret)
- NEW: Triangulation mechanics/utility
- NEW: True cloaking mechanic (via new Cloaking Devices)
- NEW: Recycling Unit Retrieve(Components) hack output explicitly states number of components retrieved, since may not equal full contents
- NEW: Repair Stations, Recycling Units, and Scanalyzers color listed items by current integrity
- NEW: Repair Station repairable item list marks those which are broken to avoid requiring opening info window to confirm
- NEW: Explosion falloff stat context help explicitly mentions visual representation in the form of AOE color's brightness relative to the origin
- NEW: Encounter-based optional world map shortcuts
- NEW: "Alert Popups" option that displays flashing on-map warnings and alerts for low integrity/energy/matter
- NEW: "Part Auto-sorting" option that enables automatic sorting parts after changes (occurs once moving again)
- NEW: "Show Non-FOV Color" option to show areas outside with darker colors rather than the green overlay (toggle at any time with Ctrl-`)
- NEW: "Click Walls to Target" option that allows that feature to be toggled (now off by default)
- NEW: "Color Item Labels" option to use integrity-based color scheme for item labels, both manual and automatic
- NEW: Standard item labeling method uses slightly darker shade to indicate items at less than 75% integrity
- NEW: Option to allow right-clicks on walls to enter targeting mode (cogmind.cfg only: see rmbWallsToTarget)
- NEW: Manual explicitly states that fliers must switch to another form of propulsion in order to bump-rewire disabled targets
- NEW: Any encounter action in which an NPC drops an item is accompanied by the proper material-based drop sfx
- NEW: Manual and context help clarify specific stat effects of propulsion overloading
- NEW: Confirmation required for suicide/quit game menu options (including a required 1-second delay)
- NEW: Armor auto-replacement breaks ties using each armor's respective rating
- NEW: Added "Multiple Projectiles" section to manual (under Weapons) to explain how they work
- NEW: Sealing a garrison after installing a trap on the entrance itself gives explicit log message referring to the trap's destruction
- NEW: In-game manual's keyboard navigation supports Numpad as well
- NEW: Attached processor to be dropped/removed/swapped flashes until confirmed (or window expires)
- NEW: Numpad 0 equivalent to 'd' key for opening object info; in keyboard mode also identifies item at current location without examine mode
- NEW: Explicit context tutorial message about the drawback of attempting to aim through an obstacle at a target behind it
- NEW: Overhauled autotargeting and target selection system (see new manual section "Targeting Priority" under Advanced UI)
- NEW: Targeting and examine modes both support -/= and Numpad -/+ for cycling through objects
- NEW: Firing at an empty space or other non-robot target is remembered for subsequent shots, automatically targeted again if still visible
- NEW: Repeatedly firing a guided weapon will remember and automatically reload all of previous attack's waypoints, if still visible*
- NEW: Shift modifier w/Numpad cursor movement in examine/targeting modes jumps four spaces (customize via cfg: cursorJumpDistance)
- NEW: In targeting mode, Backspace or Numpad Enter centers cursor on self (keyboard mode)
- NEW: Added explicit Notes section to manual
- NEW: All supporter names registered since Alpha 12 added to in-game list (see Credits menu)
- NEW: All item-attribution names registered since Alpha 12 added to the item collection gallery
- MOD: All former optional target cycling methods unified, is now always distance-based (near to far)
- MOD: Target cycling includes only armed hostiles if any, otherwise all non-allied targets
- *MOD: Item cycling order in examine mode switched from row-based to distance-based, near to far; also accessible by Ctrl-Numpad -/+ *
- MOD: Entering targeting mode via 'f' with only a melee weapon active will limit target cycling to adjacent targets
- MOD: Diametric Drive now a prototype
- MOD: Upped melee sneak attack base hit chance to 120%
- MOD: Derelict Log ASCII art recolored, rather than matching Data Core
- MOD: Non-hostile Derelicts use much brighter shade of gray
- MOD: Trap Extractors somewhat more commonly found among regular stockpiles
- MOD: Gui. Remote Datajack now a prototype, improved to rating 9
- MOD: Trap items changed from light gray to red (in ASCII mode)
- MOD: Reduced number of sound channels for environment destruction, to lower volume of large-scale collateral damage to machines
- MOD: AI (enemies and allies) spot targets one space further away than previously, more in line with their actual sight range
- MOD: Z-Series renamed to Q-Series
- MOD: Minseweeper variants renamed: Extractor -> Sweeper, Miner -> Extractor
- MOD: Particle Charger integrity increased (+10, all variants)
- MOD: Original set of Cloaking Devices renamed to Phase Shifters
- MOD: Utility Shielding no longer protects Armor parts
- MOD: Allies are tier-prioritized when passing to new map, better ones appearing closer (any lost in transition will naturally be weaker)
- MOD: Drones show their class name in info page instead of "Special"
- MOD: Controllable allied drones appear in blue instead of fuchsia
- MOD: Assimilated prototype robots always appear blue
- MOD: Scanalyzer-listed non-scanalyzable items appear blue instead of yellow
- MOD: Mines infestation less common, and sometimes accompanied by a new encounter
- MOD: Imp. Signal Interpreter displays non-combat classes in a different color
- MOD: LRCs are now their own class
- MOD: Inventory sorting accompanied by sound effect (became silent in Alpha 11 due to removal of interface message w/typing sfx)
- MOD: Removed "Auto-sort Inventory" from options menu (still available in cogmind.cfg as autoSortInventory)
- MOD: Removed "Distance-based Volume" from options menu (still available in cogmind.cfg as soundIgnoresDistance)
- MOD: Removed "Center Cursor on Move" from options menu (still available in cogmind.cfg as centerCursorOnMove)
- MOD: Removed "Animated Volley Range" from options menu (still available in cogmind.cfg as animateVolleyRange)
- MOD: Removed "Target Preference" from options menu (now obsolete)
- MOD: Major NPCs no longer susceptible to core disruption
- MOD: Allies/AIs no longer attack dormant bots (until awoken)
- MOD: Item rating value context help clarifies its importance in simplifying the comparison process
- MOD: Added mechanics details including machine-caused LOS reduction to the manual's "Spotting" section (under Combat)
- MOD: All EM cannon energy costs increased approximately 40%
- MOD: Recycling Unit tunneling more likely to discover areas closer to current depth than further away
- MOD: Log message reporting a world location learned via derelict log etc. is different if location was previously known
- MOD: World map will not show additional discovered but unvisited Factory areas at the same depth (may have been learned by tunneling through chutes)
- MOD: Score sheet "Alien Tech Recovered" renamed to "Alien Tech Used" (behavior unchanged)
- MOD: Confusion due to corruption no longer tries to move into walls, take exits, or otherwise attempt an involved action (rewiring, machine interaction)
- MOD: Recall() hacks no longer appear on Command terminals, nor do they have an effect there
- MOD: Svarog and Perun core integrity +33%
- MOD: Zionites have a new sprite
- MOD: Gaining new intel no longer automatically opens intel window (can reactivate feature via cogmind.cfg: autoOpenNewIntel)
- MOD: Melee attacks never miss walls/doors/machines
- MOD: Mechanics, Protectors, and disarmed combat bots no longer considered a "threat" for movement purposes (requires "Stop on Threats Only" option on)
- MOD: Part rejection side effect of corruption no longer occurs outside combat situations
- MOD: Thermal Generator effect description changed to avoid implying it prevents thermal damage
- MOD: No Garrison Access below -8
- MOD: Assaults and Intercepts no longer dispatch simultaneous with Exterminations
- MOD: Increased effect on alert level from disabling machines and having allies in tow during combat
- MOD: +1 rating to all hackware at the Improved tier and above
- MOD: Adv. Remote Datajack rating +1
- MOD: Hackware stat progression rate reduced significantly
- MOD: Two additional higher robot hacking difficulty tiers
- MOD: Previously hackable prototype robot systems now much more difficult
- MOD: ARCs/Z-Series/Behemoths and many more now fully hackable (difficult but not impossible)
- MOD: Reduced by ~20% the chance of hostile Programmers successfully assimilating allies with average/high hacking defenses (e.g. Grunts/Hunters)
- MOD: Build command at all Fabricators easier
- MOD: Preloaded item schematics at Fabricators now better than usual, even out of depth
- MOD: More Fabricators will tend to have preloaded schematics
- MOD: Slightly reduced mass support for all flight propulsion at and above rating 4
- MOD: World map no longer accessible during examine/targeting modes
- FIX: Getting a Repair Station refit or being repaired by a Mechanic ignored extra slots of multislot items, attaching more parts than necessary [Vectis]
- FIX: Advanced key command listing for evasion info still showed '/' despite having been switched to '\' [zxc]
- FIX: A particular late-game encounter involved a robot that could still take a hostile action even if assimilated before acting [zxc]
- FIX: Under rare circumstances a valid path between cave entrance and exits may be blocked off by a wall [Sherlockkat]
- FIX: Vi-key running via 'r' modifier wasn't working in all cases [Dracunos]
- FIX: Part mass visualization should show relative values for unidentified non-propulsion parts [Dracunos]
- FIX: Removal of BUILD order in Alpha 12 shifted tallies for other ally orders in score sheet [Widmo]
- FIX: Backup parts which became "Unknown" due to data loss remained unknown even after attachment during Mechanic repairs or Repair Station refit [Widmo]
- FIX: Mechanics headed to resupply at a Repair Station which is then disabled may still resupply if interactive section not completely destroyed [Widmo]
- FIX: Recyclers headed to insert at a Recycling Unit which is then disabled may still use it if interactive section not completely destroyed [Widmo]
- FIX: Recycling Unit's Refit function only available manually rather than via button (until reconnect) if repaired an attached part [Widmo]
- FIX: While flying was possible to swap with a non-flying ally on the other side of a hostile (will now clear them, too) [Widmo]
- FIX: Unable to cycle through World Map in keyboard mode if current or previous locations in Waste or Garrison [Widmo]
- FIX: Inconsistent new map autosave behavior depending on Show Map Intro option setting (now always saves as soon as possible) [Widmo]
- FIX: Manual terminal hacks seeking analyses for robots that have no schematics would always indicate unavailable at current depth [Widmo]
- FIX: Extracting resources from a container by waiting on top of it did not update the scan window if displaying that container [Widmo]
- FIX: While flying, was possible to hack a machine directly on the other side of a blocking hostile [Widmo]
- FIX: Typo in W-25 Informer and B-99 Colossus analysis texts [Widmo]
- FIX: Reclamation Units could reclaim themselves on destruction [Amphouse]
- FIX: Derelict Surgeon variants overheated simply from upkeep costs due to an imbalanced loadout [Happylisk]
- FIX: Allied MAIN.C classes/variants transferred to a new map would be renamed [elite277]
- FIX: Clicking on the evolution UI where the Confirm button will appear, even before assigning slots, advances to next map without new slots [piedol]
- FIX: Allies were causing almost no additional increase to the alert level in combat
- FIX: Traveling through Recycling didn't increment evolution count by the proper amount in score sheet
- FIX: Confusion due to corruption was warning when a move would ram a robot or step on a known hostile target, making negative consequences avoidable
- FIX: Weapon toggling hotkey (') behavior didn't work properly when autoReadyLauncher option activated in cogmind.cfg
- FIX: In rare cases a horizontal line may appear after a log message and get stuck there until the message was redrawn due to scrolling
- FIX: NPCs that speak on sight were not supposed to flash the green '!' to indicate dialogue, since a bump is not required to trigger
- FIX: "Traps Extracted" score sheet entry was including non-player tallies as well
- FIX: Chute traps never spawned on Factory depths visited on a previous run in the same session
- FIX: One or more prop-sourced ambient sounds could disappear early when overlapping with others during movement
- FIX: Rebooting, dormant, or otherwise inactive programmers were still capable of protecting nearby allies from hacking attemp
- FIX: Crash in message log system if attacking a wall with a base accuracy of exactly 110%
- FIX: One character (147) in ASCII art contained a few extra pixels when using 14x14 font
Well, since you've made it all the way here you might be interested :P. There's currently a promotion to get Cogmind alpha access now at the future launch price of $20, with coupon code "INDIEDB" via the buy page! (limited to basic Alpha tier)