• Register

3089 is a futuristic, procedurally generated, open-world action role-playing game. All terrain, enemies, weapons, items, quests & more are uniquely generated. You are a promising robotic android design, made by the Overlord, placed on planet Xax. Your performance in common combat, support & intel scenarios is being closely watched. However, will you become too much for them to handle? What else on planet Xax exists that the Overlord doesn’t know about?

Forum Thread
3089 v0.89a: Roads, multiplayer preview & more! (Games : 3089 : Forum : Annoucements : 3089 v0.89a: Roads, multiplayer preview & more!) Locked
Thread Options
Jul 16 2013 Anchor

Hey guys,

It has been awhile since 3089 had its last update -- been working hard on multiplayer & promotion during the IndieGameStand sale.

There is still much to do on the multiplayer front, but you can get an idea on how it will work. Basically, all single player games will be multiplayer games if you enable the "server" option -- which I hope most people will do. This will help increase the number of servers people can join. If you enable the "advertise" option, it will post your server information to the twitter account at Twitter.com. Make sure people can connect to your game -- you may need to enable port forwarding on your router to port 3089 -- you can read more information @ Portforward.com. Only a few things work at the moment, like finding & connecting to other games. You will be able to see the other player run around & you can send chat messages to each other (using the key), but many things like robots & damage are not synchronized yet.

There has been many changes to how terrain is generated. There should be more flat areas, but also some more varied hills & mountains also. Roads have been added, and the roads will tunnel through terrain or span over oceans where needed. You will get a small movement boost when traveling on a road. Due to the terrain generation changes, you may need to find a new backup station & do a "location rescue" when loading your game.

The user interface should look a bit better, too. I made a new dialog box image & organized item stats. Skill boosts are now grouped together and colored slightly green. "Bad" statistics, like "cooldown" and "ammo use" are slightly red. I've also labeled incomplete items more clearly.

Take a look at all of the changes @ 3089game.wordpress.com

What is next? I plan on filling in more multiplayer features. Eventually, I want specific features to encourage co-op play, even between players of very different levels. For instance, I can give rewards to high level players for helping low level players out. I also want a special "merge" mode where two players join together to create a superbot :)

OK, back to work!

- Phr00t

Jul 16 2013 Anchor

Phr00t, can I just say that you are one of the best game developers out there? Not just because you work so hard on your games to make them better, not just because the games you make are already fun, but mostly because of how much you care about the people playing your games. Fantastic things your doing to this game. The multi-player component is pretty cool as well, I tried it out with a random person that joined my server however when he bought a weapon an error message popped up (I talk about this in the bug report section.) Overall, very nice update. What you have planned sounds awesome also (Becoming a superbot sounds so cool). Seriously Phr00t, why haven't those triple A companies dumped all their money on you already?

Jul 16 2013 Anchor

Thanks Bleeder138! Much appreciated :)

Thanks for the error message, I'll start working again on it tomorrow & make some more progress...

Triple AAA companies don't want the competition from us "little" indie developers :P

Jul 17 2013 Anchor

wow, and I thought 3089 looked good when I first came here.... phr00t, everything you do for this game makes it more and more involving and inclusive. It's not a 'pick up and play and put down when you're done' scenario, playing the game feels like being part of something and multiplayer only adds to that. Focussing on workign with other players will only add to that feeling, and the idea of combining to make superbots... well, that just takes the cake.

The second you start playing 3089, there's a common goal and you already feel like part of the game. "Little" or not, you're thinking along the very best design principles with this game and it's a joy to play :D Keep up the amazing work!

Jul 17 2013 Anchor

Thanks guys. Comments like these really help motivate me to keep working hard on the game :)

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.