• Register
Forum Thread
Team Fortress 2: Competitively Balanced (Developers Wanted!) (Forums : Ideas & Concepts : Team Fortress 2: Competitively Balanced (Developers Wanted!)) Locked
Thread Options
Sep 2 2015 Anchor

Well me and a couple of my buddies were gonna go competitive on TF2 but we'd played a TON of matches and we realized something. TF2 isn't balanced. At all, But we really liked the game core though, so we threw this together.

Support or not?

Sep 5 2015 Anchor

How do you plan to make tf2 more balanced and what kind of developers are you looking for?

--

Im rooting for you, we're all in this together.

Sep 6 2015 Anchor

I plan on making all classes having roles in certain situations, causing players to need to switch more often and making certain classes better and some toned down. Giving them the roles valve planned them to have (Ex: like the Pyro was supposed to be an ambush class, Yet he runs around.)

Probably Coders and Mappers and people who can help keep the project balanced, make maps, etc.

Sep 7 2015 Anchor

Well if your going to do that, you can pretty much change everything in the game. Make the flamethrower like its real world counterpart, make everyone a girl like so much fan art wants it to be, further balance speed and health, items and everything. Essentially you can recreate the game using the concept of 9 different classes.

But the game is balanced in a weird way, the art of imperfect balance. At least when it came out, certain classes could destroy others with no problem. Take the heavy and the scout, scout dies to heavy from far away, heavy dies to scout up close. Then the new weapons came out, the nerfs and buffs and slowly all the imperfect balance began to fade. You now had subclasses within classes and while it made things more interesting as you never knew who you were going to fight, it also made the characters incredibly situation specific.

But why not take the TF2 engine and make an new game with new characters? You'll still be doing a lot of work either way regardless, but with your own game you get a little more recognition rather then a mod for TF2. The balance you want did exist, it just doesn't anymore. Have you seen that game were people who want to be part of the jokers crew and people who emulate batman fight each other? The classes are much crazier then TF2 IMO, so why not make new crazy characters, over the top. dont limit yourself to 9 just go crazy and have fun.

Edited by: Thr111

--

Sep 23 2015 Anchor

Funily enough, one of my friends told me that, so we're just gonna make an ENTIRELY new FPS, But I'm still having some huge problems

Sep 24 2015 Anchor

Well what are your problems?

Also tell us all about your new game, what makes it better then TF2? Where/When is it set? What new and interesting features do you plan to implement? Will you be looking for a team to share royalties with? How many CRAZY characters do you plan to have?

--

Sep 25 2015 Anchor

Okay, Viral, a fast-paced FPS going on inside your computer, where 2 teams (Viruses and Anti-viruses) battle for control of your PC, It's better than TF2 due to it's competitive balance and better flow, Interestingly enough it will require constant teamwork and communication, There will be some odd gadgets and gizmos, like a shell-jumper, A shotgun you can launch yourself to new heights, along with perks/implants/whatever-I'll-call-them that you use to help your team push, all weapons and classes have a overall team help in this FPS

My problems are I honestly don't know how to script no matter how hard I try to, I need some people to explain to me all I need to know, like a mentor or something, I try to script and the file runs but the weapons don't show up and I can't even find out how to edit class speed.

Basically, I need a lot of help

Sep 26 2015 Anchor

So you can do this 2 ways, they boil down to the slow and fast way.

1) Take baby steps and learn to code, simple things at first, walking in directions, health and damage, UI, then move up to more advanced actions. Watch video tutorials, read forums and really get involved in the community. It will definitely take a long time, but your learning a new skill that can be applied to a multitude of situations.

2) Start a team, offer people who join your team royalties from the game when it is released. A wide variety of skill sets and ideas make for a better game then when one person works on it alone. This will speed up production by several years, but you will have to spend a lot of time managing people, hiring and communicating with them in order to have a very tight knit group that will make it to the finish line.

IndieDB and ModDB are both filled with very talented artists, musicians and coders and a lot of them want to make games and are willing to work for royalties and sometimes even credit if its FTP game. Who knows, your team may start the groundwork for your own game studio.

--

Sep 26 2015 Anchor

Thanks for the info, I'll keep this in mind as I learn this new code!

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.