Red Laser Z is a retro-arcade FPS in the style of Wolf3D. This update adds a checkpoint system and fixes a bug with the message system.
*UPDATE* This is a quick update for version 0.21e1: improved 4:3 resolution, fixed a mouse bug affecting "fastest" quality, added buttons for skip cutscenes.
A major update for our nascent game. We finally found the bug that was freezing the game after searching something. It was a blunder caused by our inexperience. There was a delay of 0.2 seconds between searching and “closing” the message. If you pressed ‘e’ twice too fast in front of an object, time would freeze. It was our fault, so we apologize. So, no more fish heads for the dev team. Now they’ll only eat the eyes of the head. I’ll feed them gooey fish eyes. They’ll learn.
The good news is that we now have a checkpoint system! It works like this: there are “Entanglement Chambers” throughout the level. These chambers print a mindless clone of yourself, and entangle your mind with the (dormant) clone’s brain. When you die, your mind is transported to the clone, so you get a new body. You can do this 4 times at each level.
There’s also a new short-range attack. When you ran out of ammo, your laser becomes weak and only extends one meter ahead. So you’re not completely defenseless when you spend all your bullets. Also, we completely eliminated the interval between bullets. It was 0.2 seconds. Now every click shoots a laser.
We have a better defined “game over loop”. There are 3 conditions for a game over:
- If you kill 3 civilians (or receives 30 penalty points), you get a game over.
- If you die without making a backup clone, you get a game over.
- If you die 4 times in a level after making a clone, you get a game over.
And last but not least, the boss is now more forgiving. His first attack only happens after 3 seconds, and his rays disappear quicker.
Bug fixes and improvements for version 0.21e1:
- Optimization for 4:3 resolution ratio.
- Fixed a mouse bug affecting “fastest” quality.
- Added buttons for skipping cutscenes.
Bug fixes and improvements for version 0.21e:
- Search system doesn’t freeze time anymore (hopefully).
- UI overhaul. ‘ESC’ now pauses/unpauses game (so does ‘TAB’); added a “Resume” button on pause menu.
- There’s a new “Level Select”, where you can unlock Level 2 after beating Level 1.
- New sliders for Music Volume and Mouse Sensitivity.
- New game-over loop.
- New short-range attack for when all ammo is spent.
- Laser effect fixed (it doesn’t “float” anymore).
- No more interval between bullets (now every click shoots a laser).
- Boss is more forgiving.
- Less “force back” when hit.
- Space hamster was taken from dev team as punishment.
- Dev team now only feed on gooey fish eyes.